Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote Upgrade TGXL and PGXL Firmware?

Options

I connect to my local PC at the station via Chrome Remote Desktop. I would not attempt a 6000 series radio firmware upgrade remotely. However, is there any reason I couldn't perform the upgrade from 3.7.32 on the PGXL and from 1.1.20 on the TGXL remotely?

Answers

• NG0Z
    NG0Z Member ✭✭
    Options

So I will reply to my own question for the benefit of others operating similarly: I was able to do the TGXL and PGXL firmware upgrades easily and quickly from the remote PC, connecting to the local PC via Chrome Remote Desktop. I am now current on the 6400, the PowerGenius and the TunerGenius and everything is working as expected.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

This is one of the benefits of a remote PC at radio site accessible with one of several Remote Desktop programs.

You can go to the next step and set the PC bios to turn on the PC when power is applied and have it log in to Windows automatically. I use a DLI Web Switch Pro at my home and remote location. Various equipment (PC, power supply, rotor controller, AC relays for Flex Remote On and accy PTT, etc)

The DLI can have your router and cable modem plugged in. It will Ping two different sites every 5 minutes. If after 3 tries (15 minutes) neither site replies to the Ping, it will reboot the router and modem port. Then goes through another 15 minute cycle until Internet is back up. Useful if your network equipment locks up for whatever reason.

There is a good Facebook group on Remote Ham Radio which has posts on many different aspects of remoting, not just Flex. I can’t post a link to it but it is called Remote HF Station Building

Dave wo2x

• NG0Z
    NG0Z Member ✭✭
    Options

David, indeed I have my PC configured as such. It boots up and logs in without a password when power is restored and I have a UPS system to keep it running in a power outage so the OS doesn't get corrupted if the power is interrupted during an update.

I also have a Dataprobe PDU pinging Google with instructions to restart the network if it can't "see" the site after a few tries or a certain period of time.

Fortunately, I have not had to drive the two hours to the station to rectify an issue but once in a year and a half of launching the remote station as most issues can be resolved by rebooting a device remotely.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.