Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Grounding

Options
NA0B
NA0B Member ✭✭
edited January 13 in Power Genius XL Amplifier

I recently purchased a Power Genius XL. My question is whether it should be grounded, which is what I would assume. But grounding is not mentioned in the PG-XL User Guide, nor did I find any references in the community.

Thanks,

73 de Juan, NA0B

Answers

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

All household appliances require a safety ground

or are you talking about RF ground - Not in the electrical code but an excellent thing to do.

• NA0B
    NA0B Member ✭✭
    edited January 13
    Options

Both types of ground. Is the ground connector in the PG-XL above the power plug-in receptacle?

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't have a PG-XL, but the safety ground must be part of the power plug and the RF ground is an external chassis bolt/connection.

• NA0B
    NA0B Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Stan. This is what I thought too, but I was surprised that no grounding is mentioned in the User Guide, nor the chassis bolt/connection is identified in the picture included in the User ****.

• JamesW7EY
    JamesW7EY Member ✭✭
    Options

I had the same comment to support recently. There's actually a post here mentioning a neutral with the plug but with a 240v plug there isn't a neutral. I did confirm with support that it's earth ground and two phases of hot legs to the plug like most standard appliances.

• NA0B
    NA0B Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank You James. I think this takes care of the safety ground. What I find interesting is that there is no mention of RF ground in the PG-XL sers Guide. But it seems clear that the bolt in the upper left corner (back of the amp) is for RF ground, which seems to be quite important when you run high power.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.