Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Elecraft KAT500 Tuner control software not passing through 6400 to PC.

Options

I have my FLEX 6400 operating SSDR 2.10.1 with a Windows 10 PC at home, I have added a FLEX external 500W amp and tuner, I also have a Windows 10 PC at a mountain top remote station.  I have the proper cables from Elecraft. Both Serial converter cables AMP & Tuner are plugged into the FLEX USB ports. The KPA500 Amplifier can band change, tune with the FLEX tune button depressed. The tuner is changing antenna ports. I installed the Elecraft KPA500 Utility and the KAT500 Remote software on the remot'ed computer to use for local interface of the Elecraft equipment. Per the supplied diagram both devices have their interface cables installed and the FLEX has the virtual USB ports active for both.

The KPA500 amplifier software opens and runs just fine passing through the 6400 giving me the ability to set it to standby/operate , read the output wattage and reset errors. However the KAT500 remote software does not find the tuner on any comm port. I need to run the software to trouble shoot what is happening. The remote site is on a mountain top and hard to stay long with cold weather here.

Does anyone run a similar setup and possibly know the answer to getting the Tuner remote control software to talk to the computer through the FLEX like the Amplifier software does? The KAT500 tuner software operates just fine if I plug it directly into the PC. The PCs are both ends are Windows 10 64bit. I am using Remote PC software to remotely control the UN-maned desktop from home along with either a Mastro for voice or a Win 10 workstation for digital.

This is important to be able run this software to change antenna ports on the tuner as well as set auto/manual or bypass modes and read error codes.

Thanks in advance for any sage advice from those who have journeyed this path.

Steve AG4SO 

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Steve, I also have a Flexicraft station (Flex 6400, KPA500/KAT500 combo)... The amp is easier, because it has two RS232 ports. I hook one to the back of the Flex so that it changes bands properly. I hook the "PC" RS232 to my computer which allows controlling the amp remotely.

The KAT500 only has one RS232 port, so I connect it to my computer.

Rather than running the Elecraft utilities, I run DDUtil. This lets me control both the amp and tuner with the PC. DDUtil also forwards frequency info to the tuner from the radio. The big advantage of DDUtil is that you can set power levels in the FLex by band so that you don't overdrive the amp. When you put the amp in standby, DDUtil sets the radio back to 100 % RF out (or whatever you want).

• Steve Blankinship AG4SO
    Options

Thank you sir I give that a try.

Regards Steve AG4SO

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.