Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

iOS Version 17.1.2 Phone Goes To Sleep

Options

Hello All -

I use SmartSDR on my iPhone 13 Max when traveling. I did an upgrade on the phone to OS version 17.1.2. Now when running SmartSDR, after a minute or so, the screen/phone goes to sleep and SmartSDR disconnects and stops.

I checked my settings and have "Prevent Device Sleep" turned ON (green on the slider). My app version is 6.9.5 and Data version is D4.1.17

Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions?

73 de Tom, N9GUN

Comments

• ChrisAC9KH
    Options
    In iOS and iPadOS 17 it appears Apple made some changes to the power management schema. "Device Sleep" is different from the screen auto lock. On my iPad the screen auto lock will come on and the screen dims and goes blank. But SmartSDR stays running in the background so the device doesn't actually "sleep" - it just turns the screen off to save on power.

But you have to specifically "allow" this and specify which apps are allowed to stay running in the background. In SmartSDR turn off "Disconnect on close" and turn on "Ask before disconnect". In iOS go to Settings -> Screen Time -> Always Allowed and add SmartSDR to the list. This will not prevent your screen auto lock from coming on, you have to turn that off in Settings -> Display & Brightness if you don't want your screen to auto lock.

I was having the same problem. I run my Flex with the iPad in the shack and run JS8Call on my Mac mini for sometimes days at a time unattended for long periods of time. The iPad's screen would auto lock but after a period of time the device would actually go to "sleep" and disconnect the Flex. Adding SmartSDR to the list of apps always allowed during downtime fixed it so that SmartSDR doesn't disconnect from the Flex.
  • Tom OBoyle
    Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you very much. I’ll give those settings a try.

• ChrisAC9KH
    Options
    Let us all know if that fixes it for you like it did for me. There is some apps like FieldView that we use on the iPad in tractors and combines that disable the screen auto lock, even in iOS 17, if that app is in the foreground and connected to the machine's CAN bus. I'm not sure how the app does that, but I don't think I'd like that on a mobile device for SmartSDR. If I'm going to leave SmartSDR running for a long period of time, unattended, I think I prefer to have the screen auto lock and turn off, but the audio stays alive and the app stays connected to the FlexRadio.

I had submitted a support request to Marcus for the issue with the app disconnecting after the screen goes out, those settings seemed to fix it here.
  • Tom OBoyle
    Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭
    Options

They did work. Thanks for the help.

I ran the radio for 90 minutes without a problem on the phone today.

73 de Tom, N9GUN

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.