Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Spectrum Communication Transverter?

Options
trader174
trader174 Member ✭✭
I have a 2m transverter from Spectrum Communications. I need to imput about 5w to get it to work. However, researching why it would not TX it looks like I am putting a tiny amount of power into it.

Is this the case that I just cannot use this transverter via the transverter port on the Flex 6600?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

The 6000 series radios put out a max of 10 dBm (10 mW) at the transverter port. You can either use a 2 meter amplifier to get from 10 mW to 5 W or you can use ANT 1 or 2 with max RF out set to 5 W. If you use an ANT port, you need to be very careful not to put too much power through the transverter.

I don't recommend using the ANT ports for this purpose, but it is possible.

Answers

• trader174
    trader174 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Len. I do have a 2m amp but I don't think it would react at that low power.

Are there any transverters that are low cost that anyone could recommend?
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I would try the amp, you might be surprised. Be sure to measure the output power before connecting it to your transverter.

I am using a Ukrainian transverter from the Transverters-Store. Very inexpensive, but now unobtainable due to the Russian invasion.

One of the best transverters is available from Q5 Signal, but is more expensive.

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The Spectrum Communications shows this for their transverter:

The transverter main board contains an attenuator in the transmit path and can be configured for 1-500mW or 0.5-5W drive levels

Perhaps yours has the attenuator internally?

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

I highly recommend Q5 transverters. The two-meter 25 watt version (there are higher power models) is $500. Yes, that’s a lot. They can be configured to mate directly with Flex radios. They are well-designed and very well-built. They work like a charm. Customer service is fast and friendly. They will last you a decade or (probably) more. Resale value is good. I feel they are a great investment in one’s station.

• trader174
    trader174 Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Geoff

It does look like I can modify it for a low drive levels. I am researching this now as it is definitely something I would need guidance on doing! But there is hope!

Otherwise I will look to some of the alteratives suggested by others.

Thanks to all

• trader174
    trader174 Member ✭✭
    Options

If anyone else happens to be looking for this solution I had to add a 1nf capacitor to C1, remove/disconnect R3 and also change a 22uf cap near the relay to a 1uf cap. This was on guidance from the designer/manufacturer.

This now allows me to get 20w from 10dbm drive. Happy days!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.