Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will this PC be sufficant for Flex 6400

Options
Will this PC be sufficant for Flex 6400

Device name Dell-Bruce

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz 2.40 GHz

Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)

Device ID B92BC421-0535-4947-9200-CE60CFA41D4F

Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA185

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Pen and touch Touch support with 10 touch points

Running Windows 10 Home

Bruce W4HI
Tagged:

Answers

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    Options

By principle : Yes. Sure.. Maybe, but you must test, sometimes intel based internal graphics units make trouble by prudocing a cracking sound. But, i did not yet see taht on any DELL Laptop , even far slower ones. It happend mor on other brand laptops here.

Harry

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Bruce, SmartSDR itself doesn't take a powerful computer to run. Other software that you might want to use with your Flex could require a faster computer, however.

I also have a 6400 and upgraded to a really fast i9 laptop so that I can run CW Skimmer and programs like that. My older i5 runs SmartSDR very well but falls short when running compute-intensive CW Skimmer.

So to just run SmartSDR and a logging program, I would have to think that the Dell is plenty fast. To run digital programs or skimmers, it may or may not be fast enough for you to be happy with it.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, SmartSDR is just a client and the radio is the server. All the heavy work is performed by the radio. SmartSDR basically just displays the state of the radio.

• w4hi
    w4hi Member
    Options
    I have another Dell laptop with following specifications:

Device name DESKTOP-4S55TER
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz
    Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.76 GB usable)
    Device ID 009CE623-94E8-4545-A633-7935447B2510
    Product ID 00325-96613-69169-AAOEM
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points
    Running Windows 11 Home but could upgrade to Pro

Bruce Marron W4HI

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.