Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartLink with 3.5.9

Options

Ok, I never used Smartlink remotely, but I registered few years ago when I purchased 6600 and from September following up with interest on latest issues. Decided it was time to try it, so far no joy.

I re-registered after Flex completed server upgrade and running 3.5.9.

Tested Smartlink and it does not pass the "Test".

Opened ticket with Flex 2 days ago - no reply.

Did anyone had this issue after server upgrade and can share solution?

Thanks,

Sergey

Comments

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    Options

If you hover over the red dot, it should show you which parts of the test passed or failed. It is likely that you don't have UPnP enabled on your router and will need to manually forward a couple of ports to your radio. I would recommend reviewing the SmartLink chapter in the SmartSDR Software User Guide for more info.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you Eric.

I've tried different combinations but I guess I do not fully understand how to fix it. I have Netgear router and it seems like i need more assistance.

Not sure how to update External to Internal from these settings

Thanks

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sergey

I see you are not using ports 4993 and 4994 as your external ports. That's fine, but:

You have two options.

• use port 4993 and 4994 as your external ports in SmartLink and in your router. The router configuration you show, will forward these ports to IP address 192.168.1.35.

or.......if you continue to use 5555 and 5556 in SmartLink as your external ports.....In your router you need to find the option to also map internal ports: TCP-5555>192.168.1.35:4994, and, UDP-5556>192.168.1.35:4993

I do not know your router, but perhaps this is the "Port Triggering" option.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

HI Alan,

Thank you for reply. I tried different ways. I also "googled" it as Flex referral to generic Internet link does not help, or I do not understand it.

Found Marcus Smartlink setup guide

and it seems like I have to enter 4994 for TCP and 4993 for UDP but only TCP is passing

I guess I do not know how to update UDP to 4993 as I am getting below error.

I hope Flex will eventually reply to my ticket unless someone else here would help me.

Thanks

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sergey

It looks like, on your router, you are entering a range of ports, instead of two separate ports.

In your router, you should be able to enter two separate port forwards, one for TCP, port 4994, and a second, separate UDP port 4993.

Alan

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Sergey KN7K

I think the same thing as Alan - your router thinks you are trying to forward a range of ports, and your end-port is smaller than the starting-port (so your router complains, and probably won't allow that). On my own router, as Alan suggests, I put in two separate port-forward rules. If your router absolutely demands a range, maybe put the "start = 4994" and also the "end = 4994" for TCP, and do similarly for a second rule: the second UDP port, "start = 4993" and "end = 4993".

HTH!

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Alan.

I tried to add a separate line, but getting error. Here is what i did

Add TCP

Adding one more line for UDP, port 4993

and I cannot save it as it does not like the same name.

I renamed them to Smartlink TCP and Smartlink UDP, was able to add the second line

but still no go

Sergey

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sergey

In your router, give each service a unique name. Now, you are using "SmartLink" for each service.

Try

SmartLink UDP

SmartLink TCP

Alan

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I did, see image below, I used Smartlink TCP and Smartlink UDP.

Sergey

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sergey

OK.

Good news, I see the SmartLink status is showing your UDP port passed.

Check your setup again for the TCP port, 4994.

Alan

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Alan,

I did one more correction for TCP and Smartlink status

However, i still cannot connect from the iPhone

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    Options

@Sergey KN7K

It looks like you've made excellent progress - that Green Dot, and your TCP/UDP "Pass" suggest to me that your router, and your Flex radio are ready to use! Congratulations!

Now, as for your iPhone... I don't have experience with iPhone, but it should only require that you log into SmartLink with your credentials, and it should present your radio as a selection-choice.

For debugging: do you have a PC, running Windows (maybe steal one from a family member :-) )? I am suggesting you try SmartSDR, to see if this official Flex software is able to log into SmartLink, then also connect to your Flex radio. If you can do this, then there is something wrong with the iPhone.

Summary - break the problem down further, try alternatives to your iPhone. It looks like your radio / router are now ready.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you Alan and Gord.

I rebooted everything and restarted my iPhone. Tested from outside and it fixed!

Bottom line:

1. I did not know how to add a second line in a router setup as it kept failing for the "same name already exist" error. On Markus SmartLink Setup Guide it shows 2 lines, one for TCP and one for UDP, but both had the same name "SSDR-iOS". On my router I added both TCP and UDP lines with different names to be able to add 2 lines for each.
    2. It was not clear to me what is "(External) to 4994 (Internal)" means. In the end it meant 4994 to 4994 for TCP and 4993 to 4993 for UDP on Smartlink setup.

Hope it help to others in case of troubleshooting.

Alan and Gord, now you can apply to Flex as a Tech support engineers :)

Sergey

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

The external ports can be any port number. I use 21000 for UDP and 22000 for TCP. The internal ports must be 4993 UDP and 4994 TCP. Remember to save before clicking the test button.

73 Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.