Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DIV RX Settings

Options

I'd like to start a new discussion on diversity reception and hear how you all are using it. Hi Hi. I'm currently running a FlexRadio 6600, SmartSDR 3.5.9, Windows client. Heil Pro-Set Elite 6 with phase rev headphones.

Software Control - In addition to SmartSDR - I've found these apps helpful in making on the fly changes to Ant1, 2, RxA, RxB RF Gain settings etc. Links below.

I've used RX Assistant by Ken W9IE and have tested the past several versions with him. (Div switch was removed in v3.4 because setting up diversity that it really comes down figuring out what works best for station.

I normally use a Stream Deck with buttons programmed with RestAPI calls to FRstack so mix/match antennas on the fly. I like having the hard buttons on the deck near my cw key.

I am migrating to Keith K7KAR version of FlexButtons to eliminate the physical keys. This will be good for my remote station. Keith recently added commands for slice copy/swap that I'm still testing.

Here is my current antenna configuration. I'm still not sure if I should have the Rx Antennas on slice A, or on the diversity slice D. I've tried both ways :). I've also set RxA on Slice A and RxB on Slice D. Anything to get the QSO out of the noise!

Chris de WX7V

------

TX Antennas:

Ant1 - OCF Dipole 80-10M, noise is normally between S5-S9 depending on band conditions and city RF hash; Normally run RFgain -8 to +8

Ant2 - 2 El Yagi (20/15/10)- Usually 2-3 S Units Quieter on receive than the Dipole. Normally run gain +8 or +16 depending in the band.

-----

RX Antennas:

RxA - KK5YJ LoG "Loop on the ground" (buried an inch deep). Reduces noise to about S3 on 40/80M compared to dipole. Also attenuates the signal. I use the RFgain +24 on the flex radio to compensate.

RxB = W6LVP Amplified Receive-Only Magnetic loop (on the roof). This cuts the noise to S4/S5 compared to the dipole.

Some day I plan to set up the Array Solutions Mark II Shared Apex Loop receive antenna Heard great things about this.

-----

DIV Setting. In all cases I set the ACG on Slice D to set the gain

40/80 Meters, Slice A = RxA, RF Gain, +24. Slice D Ant1

17/12 Meters, Slice A = Ant 1 RF Gain 0, . Slice D RxB

20/15/10 meters Slice A Ant 2, RF Gain +8, Slice D RxB

Links:

RX Assistant v3.4: http://www.w9az.com/

FlexButtons v1.10.3: http://www.kregli.com/

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.