Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Settings for VARA HF V4.7.7 for use with VARAC

Options

Greetings! I need some help with my VARA HF V4.7.7 settings. I think I am close but I am missing something.

If someone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it

Thank you!

Best Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Tim, you don't mention what is wrong or what rig you are using, but it looks like your VarAC and Vara HF settings are generally correct for Flex 6000 radios. It looks like your drive level is set a bit low (Vara HF Sound Card settings) at -27 dB. I have that set at -2 dB to get around 95 W out. The peak Mic Level shows about -8 dB (not in the red).

On the radio side, make sure that you have DAX running and DAX channel 1 selected and that you are in DIGU mode.

Also make sure that DAX is turned on in the control panel.

• TimBoukou
    TimBoukou Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Good Evening!

I appreciate the feedback. Things appear to be working now. Just trying to make my first contact.

Thank you! AC3CT - Tim

Answers

• AB9UU
    AB9UU Member ✭✭
    Options

I can not get Vara/Winlink to trigger my Flex 6500. It shows it connects and I see activity in my DAX transmit window but nothing in my waterfall, radio or Expert amp for that matter. I have spent hours trying to figure it out but have had no luck.

• KD0RC
    Options

Can you post some screenshots of SmartSDR and the config screens of Vara and Winlink?

• AB9UU
    AB9UU Member ✭✭
    Options

Hope this helps.

• AB9UU
    AB9UU Member ✭✭
    Options

But it does move to the correct frequency right way to transmit, but of course does not transmit.

• KD0RC
    Options

Do you have DAX turned on in the P/CW control panel?

• AB9UU
    AB9UU Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes but but not on PC. HRD works fine though. I did have similar issues with it in the past however.

• AB9UU
    AB9UU Member ✭✭
    Options

Able to select MOX and then hit start on Vara to get it going but still no transmit triggering on it's own. It also causes CAT to give me exception errors after I close SDR. :-(

• KD0RC
    Options

I don't have Winlink, but your choice of External PTT looks suspicious. I think that you need to add a PTT Port to CAT. Then in the Vara HF Winlink Settings, change the PTT Port to use to whatever port CAT assigns for you (COM11 in my example below).

To create the com port, open SmartSDR CAT and click the Add... button

Then give it a name that is meaningful to you and set the Port Protocol to PTT and save.

Give that a shot and see if it works.

• AB9UU
    AB9UU Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks. That looks very logical. I will try that.

• AB9UU
    AB9UU Member ✭✭
    Options

You were right. It should have been obvious to me as the Vara program even says PTT.

• KD0RC
    Options

Excellent! I am glad you are back up and running.

• AB9UU
    AB9UU Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks. Now if the Flexradio CAT would stop telling me it has encountered errors when I close the SDR everything would be great. But at least it is usable now.

• KD0RC
    Options

You might want to submit a help desk ticket for that. Flex Support is pretty good at diagnosing and fixing those kinds of problems.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.