Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote Flex 6400 via layer 2 VPN challenge

Options

Struggling trying to setup a remote Flex 6400 so that we can remotely connect and use the remote NUC computer to operate the Flex 6400 in voice and data modes (SmartDAX).

We have a layer 2 VPN and we are able to connect using RDP in Windows 10. However:

• In one RDP configuration, we can use the Flex 6400 for voice ops and all is fine
  • If we want to use data (DAX), we use the other RDP setting and data works., BUT we hear no audio over here.

So we need to log off, change RDP setting, then reconnect to be able to switch between voice and data modes.

Question: Please share a setup where we can remotely control and operate the 6400 in both voice and data modes via a VPN (not SmartLINK)

Now I can run my personal remote properly but I subscribe and pay for "Remote Desktop". We are looking for a setup that does not require the user to instal SmartSDR on their computer and use SmartLINK, and if apoossiblem, not have to pay for a subscription. We know that RDP is an issue by itself, but we were hoping that using a layer 2 VPN we would be able to get around this.

The VPN access is the easiest way as we only need to maintain and support one NUC computer (which is very much capable of handling the load). We went to a layer 2 VPN but the audio portion is still a struggle

Comments

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Well, normally Smartlink needs nothing the like, as long as you can forward the needed ports to the 6400. There is no need for a PC at the radio site at all. But as i read..which in fact is a very uncommon way, you want to bypass that.

I think the problem is the AUDIO routing in the NUC. You can look a darren´s powersdr remoting video for the 3000/5000 series and do something similar . You must use something like virtual cables or voicemeeter to couple in and out of the audio channels of the NUC. Darren describes that in the video and i think you can adopt this to the 6400

• W4AFK Bruno
    W4AFK Bruno Member ✭✭
    Options

The challenge is remote connection for club members without having to use SmartLink. As of today, we are almost there. We have a Layer 2 VPN and we are also almost there with the DAX setup.

We don't want to use SmartLink as it would require every authorized club member to install SmartSDR on their computers, AND that will make us "computer support people" for everyone who has challenges (like trying to use Win 98 LOL). The VPN route means that the software runs on a very capable NUC at the radio site. This site is connected to a broadband internet gateway via a 5GHz microwave link from the mountain top to the gateway. All of the hardware is ours :-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.