Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Computer Horsepower

Options
I will be purchasing a new computer soon to go with my new Flex 6400 and plan to install logging programs like DX Labs and N1MM and a few others to do digital communications.
What do I need in the way of a computer to do all of this?
Speed, RAM, ROM, dual video outputs, and things like that.
Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
73's W5FBG Dennis

Answers

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am using a recent vintage low end ($500) gaming computer that seems to handle my radio operating activity really well. I do have 16gb of ram, dual monitors and of course a SSD.

Its WSJT that will tax the resources of a older computer when a lot of other things are running at the same time.

AL, K0VM

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    Options

JTAlert and Spots use a lot of CPU and RAM. 16 GB minimum. The video monitor/monitors need a video card to offload the video load on the computer CPU.

if you run 2 slices of digital and maybe two decoders on one slice, the CPU need goes up fast. As well if the band it really busy. What will happen is you can start missing some decodes or delayed decodes into the TX window.

It depends on you budget. With technology and applications functionality increasing you will not be sorry you have too much CPU and speed. Video speed is important for gaming but not so for ham radio. The number of cores is important for decoding.

Bill W9JJB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.