Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400/computer

Options
I operated a 6400M that was lost to a lightning strike. The software was downloaded to the radio as updates occurred. I have a new 6400 now but have not purchased a computer to go with the radio. Does software go to the radio in some way or is the operating software stored on the computer which interfaces with the radio?
This is all new to me so I will appreciate help with this question.
73's W5FBG Dennis

Comments

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Sort of both... There are two parts to the equation, The radio is called the server and the computer is the client. The download package from Flex includes both parts in one package. Download and install the software package from the flex web site. Start SSDR on the computer. If radio does not already have the same version, you will be prompted to upgrade the radio.

Or ... Find out what version is already on radio and down load that version from Flex and install that on the computer.

AL, K0VM

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Dennis, The radio is a server that serves up audio and graphics (panadapter and waterfall) to whatever client is connected to it over ethernet.

SmartSDR running on your computer is client software (A.K.A GUI Client) that connects to the radio server and "drives" the radio according to the mouse and keyboard commands provided by the operator. The server (radio) software does all the heavy math and computing to generate the audio and graphics.

So the answer is that you can think of two general categories of software. The software that runs on your computer (SmartSDR) and the software that runs in the Flex 6000 radio. The two categories of software interface with each other to give you the radio experience.

If I misunderstood you question, please let me know and I will give it another shot.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dennis, if the radio is new from flex it should be preloaded with the current software. The windows computer connected to the flex will need the free download SmartSDR from the flex site. If a Mac/iPad/iPhone is connected, it will need the app purchased from the Apple Store. Either way, the version on the computer needs to match the version on the radio.

• Dennis Robertson
    Options
    Thanks K0VM, KD0RC, KB4DU
    I appreciate your responses and understand the answers to my question.
    73's W5FBG Dennis

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.