Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600M & 4O3A 8x4 'Superswitch' Question

Options
Phil VK4KW
Phil VK4KW Member ✭✭

I’m trying to get my head around how to set up my station with the 4O3A hardware and software. Hopefully, I'm asking in the correct place!

I have the following equipment:

2 x Yaesu FTDX5000MP

1 x Flex 6600M

6 x Stack Match

I think that I need to use the following 4O3A hardware to achieve the ' 4 rigs to 8 antenna superswitch':

2 x AG

1 x 8 way AB switch

4 x OM relay modules (1 for use with the AB switch and the others for Stack Matches and future use)

Questions

1. I would like to form a super switch using the two AG and 8 way AB switch. I see from the 4O3A website that I need a single OM to do this, but I cannot see how the relays are wired to the AB switch to control it? The diagram ‘AG 4radios 8 antennas’ does not show this detail. Hopefully, someone has already done this....
  2. The Flex radio would be connected to Ports 3 and 4 of the second AG (one port for each slice) and control via the Ethernet LAN and the FTDX5000MP radios would be connected to Ports 1 and 2 of the first AG. Would the FTDX5000MP radios be able to connect via CAT to N1MM+ and then control via the LAN also, or do they need to control the AG hardware direct with BCD only?

Thanks for any assistance offered! I realise that this post covers possibly N1MM+, Yaesu and Flex subjects - but I need to start somewhere! :)

Phil VK4BAA

Comments

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Phil

Question #1. I wired the Normally Open contacts from each of the first six OM relay **** terminals to a DB9 breakout board. Then a DB9 cable from the breakout board to the 8x1 switch.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

You might want to also email 4O3A directly (support@4o3a.com) and ask. They are really good for questions like this.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Contact Alan, WA9WUD. He just built a 4x8 AG super switch.

His email is good on qrz.com

Dave wo2x

• Phil VK4KW
    Phil VK4KW Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Alan, David and Mike.

I looked for a wiring diagram of the AB switch / OM unit connectivity and it showed very little detail and I had to assume that the numbering shown were the switch numbers. It would've been much better for 4O3A to have a diagram of the whole system, from the OM terminals to the DB9 on the AB switch. Allocating the first set of relays NO contacts makes sense and I'd best set the gear up on the desk and experiment a bit before installing so that the software configuration (including N1MM+) can be confirmed. If N1MM+ gets upset or won't play ball how I would like it to, I can then move towards making a pair of BCD leads for the Yaesu gear.

I have emailed 4O3A directly but have yet to receive a response. Some of their documentation is very good but some of it leaves 'gaps' for the user to either make an assumption or work out for themselves. I'm a semi-retired electrical / control engineer (for 25+ years... I feel so old!) so I've got a good foundation for analysis but it is always best to ask a few questions instead of making an assumption and frying the hardware!

Cheers Gents!

Phil

• Phil VK4KW
    Phil VK4KW Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Alan,

Just a quick question or two.

The diagram for the AB switch depicts the OM connected to the first AG. However, the user manual for the AG states that the OM should connect to the second AG. Which did you connect to please?

When the OM is connected, did you have to configure the OM for use with the switch or are the appropriate relays of the OM 'automatically' allocated within the software?

Phil

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

I am only guessing here….

It would make sense to connect to the **** OM as when a port on that one is active it would then turn on the proper relay in the OM.

Again, just a guess.

You can email sales@4o3a.com since you need to buy the 8xAB AMD OM from them.

Dave wo2x

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Primary radio is your preference.

To configure the OM module, on the primary AG Switch Utility, set it for "2XAG With OM Control.

The two AGs do not communicate to one another. The Primary will always control the 2x8 antenna switch. When the primary selects an antenna, the corresponding OM relay is operated. You should have this set up with NO contacts to select the side of the 2X8 relay to select the primary radio's antenna.

I used Node-Red to build an interlock between the two AGs to prevent the secondary radio from selecting an antenna first selected by the primary.

• Phil VK4KW
    Phil VK4KW Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Gents.

I'm starting to get a bit more of an idea as to how things will need to be set up. Having to provide an external interlock is a bit of a surprise, seeing as the 4O3A gear doesn't appear to interlock with itself....

I've emailed both email addresses (sales, support) for 4O3A but no reply as yet. Not sure why. Their website seems to be working OK as far as I can tell as I could populate the shopping cart without an issue.

Thanks again and 73,

Phil

• Phil VK4KW
    Phil VK4KW Member ✭✭
    Options

Just got a reply late last night. It seems that they're all on holiday over there - hence no emails.

An 'out of office' facility would've been good though! :)

Phil

• Phil VK4KW
    Phil VK4KW Member ✭✭
    Options

Gents,

I received he 8x2 antenna switch and AGs yesterday.

A problem seems to be that the old software supports forming the super switch stacking but not the use of 3 OM modules, whilst the latest V4.1.1 software supports the use of 3 OM modules but not the 8x4 switch stacking! Hopefully, a more complete version of the software will be available soon.....

Phil

• Rich M5RIC
    Rich M5RIC Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Phil, have you spoken to 4O3A (The company not Ranko, though that would be a good start).

Might be worth talking to Marko who is the software developer for the AG Utility. A lot of work went in to the 4.1.1 release, more might be in the pipeline too.

Rich

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

4.0.11 does not support switch stacking.

Dave wo2x

• Phil VK4KW
    Phil VK4KW Member ✭✭
    Options

The user manual mentions that further updates are forthcoming.

I'm in the process of a complete station revamp so I'm eagerly awaiting the latest firmware to enable the facilities that I purchased the gear for.

I'll try the 'support' email address and see when the firmware will be issued.

There are a few gremlins within the 4.1.1 firmware too so it might be worth giving some feedback on that while I'm there.

Phil

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.