Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Missing FreeDV.ssdr_waveform file for FreeDV

Options
marwalk
marwalk Member ✭✭
edited August 2023 in Third-Party Software

I've just now started installing and configuring FreeDV, and found some old forum discussions from several years ago here in the Flex Radio community. The only how to manual I could find was from 2016, and I've been following that. I ran the SmartSDR_FreeDV_Waveform_Installer.exe file, which I downloaded from the Flex site today, and it provided the blank SmartSDR FreeDV Waveform Client as described. The process stopped when there was no FreeDV.ssdr_waveform file present from the SmartSDR, File->Waveforms menu. The attached screenshot shows the folder where the file was supposed to be located (with the Waveform Client included to show that was installed). I've reinstalled a few times and nothing changed, and also installed the FreeDV software from that project's github site, as I was unclear on whether that was needed. Nothing provided the needed FreeDV.ssdr_waveform file unless it's been placed in a different folder that SmartSDR is not looking in.

(I also had read the post "Can't find FreeDV waveform on computer after running installer app (V1.5)" and did not locate an answer there other than apparently to reinstall, although it appeared to ask the same question.)

Question is where or how to get the FreeDV.ssdr_waveform file onto my computer where I can navigate to for its installation. Or perhaps a related question would be does anyone have a recent FreeDV.ssdr_waveform file from your system that you might attach to this discussion (I expect there are others who could use it as well), if this problem doesn't indicate anything other than the missing file.

Thanks,

Mark, AC3EW

Best Answer

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

FLEX dropped support for the FreeDV and D-Star Wave Form's a long time ago. You have to use the Software soundcard program.

FreeDV is being updated at bullet speed and there is just no way to keep the Wave Forms up dated.

So for now you have to use the software

Answers

• marwalk
    marwalk Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Found the file on the FreeDV github site, where anyone can download it. (Looks like the forum doesn't allow posting of links like that.)

I dropped the file into the proper Flex Waveforms folder, and it installed the FreeDV v1.0.5 waveform.

Still no FDV mode to select in the slice modes menu. Tried restarting SmartSDR, opening SmartSDR FreeDV Waveform utility, and even rebooting the radio. No FDV mode to be found in the slice flag. I've seen other posts of people having a missing FDV mode. I'll search the comments further.

FWIW, I'm running SmartSDR v3.4.23.

Suggestions and guidance welcome.

Thanks,

Mark, AC3EW

• marwalk
    marwalk Member ✭✭
    Options

Found the file on the FreeDV github site. You can download it here:

I dropped the file into the proper Flex Waveforms folder, and it installed the FreeDV v1.0.5 waveform.

Still no FDV mode to select in the slice modes menu. Tried restarting SmartSDR, opening SmartSDR FreeDV Waveform utility, and even rebooting the radio. No FDV mode to be found in the slice flag. I've seen other posts of people having a missing FDV mode. I'll search the comments further.

Thanks,

Mark, AC3EW

• marwalk
    marwalk Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks,

Mark

• marwalk
    marwalk Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks,

Mark

• marwalk
    marwalk Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks,

Mark, AC3EW

• marwalk
    marwalk Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks,

Mark, AC3EW

• marwalk
    marwalk Member ✭✭
    Options

@WX7Y Thanks, Bret. I saw your post in another thread also and have now gotten the FreeDV project software talking with my 6400 using a COM port that works with WinLink (when I'm not using WL at the same time). I had tried creating another FlexVSP COM port just for FreeDV and it wouldn't recognize it, and I'm leaving well enough alone for now at least. (Hadn't had that problem as much, as I have separate VSP ports also for Fldigi, HRD, the packet soundmodem, and MARS software.) I've attached a screenshot of FreeDV in operation, and it at least sends garble to my speakers until I then set the squelch tighter. I can only assume that the transmit audio is going out; it keys the transmitter at about 35 watts average, which I think is the proper level from what I've read; won't know about my transmit audio at the receive end until I'm able to QSO with another DV station.

Although it would have been great if the FDV option would be available in the mode selection, the reason you noted for that not happening makes perfect sense.

Many thanks for a concise and helpful response!

Mark, AC3EW

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

So what kind of CAT port did you create?

here is what my "Easy Setup" looks like

and my CAT port setup, as you can see it uses the newer TCP type CAT port and not a COM port

hope this helps, I would ALWAYS recommend different COM ports for each program your using because COM ports don't Share well between programs.

• marwalk
    marwalk Member ✭✭
    Options

@WX7Y I'd never thought of doing CAT over TCP. Configured my system like the screenshots you sent, and the result is attached. It functions very well.

Thanks, Bret!

Mark, AC3EW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.