Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using the filters to silence RFI

Options

Hello my neighbors AC units condenser is wreaking havoc on my hearing when the unit start capacitor and fan motor kick in (see the video here: https://youtu.be/8L0yUzA_hQc ) I need to know what the Flex 6400 filtering capability can do do try and fix this.

Thank you.

Best Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi James, that is pretty bad. That kind of RFI can often be eliminated or significantly reduced by using a phasing type noise canceller. Timewave makes the ANC-4, MFJ has one and there are others available.

I have the ANC-4 and it works really well for me on this kind of RFI. The trick is to put the noise antenna (usually just a piece of wire) close to the source of the noise, then adjust the phasing to reduce or even eliminate it.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@KG5PTE Does this unit have a ground in its power run? I have a Goodman. Though it's about 10 years newer. I don't see any noise from it at all.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi James, I notice that you do not have the WNB engaged. While I don't think it will help this kind of noise, it is worth checking. To turn it on, click the DSP tab, then select WNB. I keep mine at around 34. I am not sure what the noise source is, but it knocks it right down (usually 3 dB or so, sometimes as much as 10 dB).

Answers

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

This Goodman unit was put in around late 2004 or early 2005. A few years ago I discovered my home was never properly grounded. I have since then grounded it properly. And every one of these homes built on my block where built by the same builder. So I bet the other homes are not grounded neither. My Goodman unit was replaced in July 2020. And does not cause any issues. The other problem is my radios and feed lines come into the shack with in 10 feet or less of the neighbors Goodman AC condenser unit (On the south side of my home) . (https://goo.gl/maps/AHwK5U6EGAtNdEH6A ) I tested my Flex and some other radios with portable Wolf River Coil HF vertical. And I had to run the antenna almost 100 feet away from my home just to began to hear the noise level go down. And all of my equipment is grounded. Len you said something about a Time wave ANC 4 I can put right here at the Windows coax pass through which is about 10 feet away from the AC condenser unit. I guess I give HRO a call and see if they sell one. I am willing to bet the neighbors AC unit and home are NOT properly grounded. Knowing who our home builder was I am not surprised about the grounding.

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Building grounding is covered in local building codes. The question is enforcement.

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

You would think so. Many home builders here in Central TEXAS have been fined and bared from building home because of short cuts. I just glad I got my home grounded. I have a Goodman AC unit that was replaced in July 2020. And does not cause the problem my neighbors does.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.