Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using the ATU

Options

Hi maybe I doing something wrong but after reading page 98 using the ATU. I have a question. What is the purpose of the tune button on the left next to the MOX button ? I All I do is push the ATU wait for a green Success and then PTT and talk. I am not running an amp only 100W. Thanks.

Best Answer

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Pushing the Tune button puts out a CW carrier at the displayed frequency for the slice with the TX flag set. It uses the Tune Pwr setting for power out so that you don't have to change your RF Power setting. It lets you see what your SWR is without initiating a tuning cycle.

Since I don't have a built-in ATU on my 6400, I use it all the time to provide 10 watts or so to tune my antennas using my KAT 500 tuner. If you ever get an amp and high-power tuner, you would leave the built-in ATU in bypass and use the Tune button with your external tuner.

Answers

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi... using the ATU automatically invokes the TUNE function. You'll notice there are two sliders above this area -- one for RF Power (output when you press the PTT or the MOX button) and Tune Power, which sets the output when the TUNE button is pressed.

For people using an external amp and/or antenna tuner, they would leave the ATU in bypass mode, then set the Tune Pwr relatively low (to what the external unit requires), then press the TUNE function to output that amount of power required to let the external tuner do its thing.

If, like me, you are running barefoot, then you are doing everything right. (Although, I would reduce the Tune Pwr a bit -- maybe to 5W or so by moving it to the left, and increase the RF Power by moving the slider to the right).

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

And RF power is a percentage of the max power out in settings. Mine is always 100%.

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

So would this explain. Why I have my radio power set to 95 to 99 watts. But when I key up and throw out a carrier. I do not see the meter go to 95-99 watts ?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.