Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

cw key often does not xmit

Options
K0FG_Fred
K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭

I read all the messages about cw and I'm not sure my problem is the same as described in those msgs. I see lots of talk about cw dropout, is that what I have here.

Have a 6400M running v3.4.24. My problem is that often when I push any cw key the xmit light comes on briefly, maybe a half second, then the light goes out and the radio goes back to rcv. But the radio does not xmit, even for that brief time when the xmit light is shining bright red. Sometimes it even does that twice before it resumes normal xmiting. It does it with the first character of a letter or even in the middle of a letter.

I have adjusted the tx delay up and down. I have changed the Delay up and down. No difference. It does it whether using the face of the 6400M or using SSDR Multiflex.

I turned off the radio and when I turned it back on the problem was still there. I did a complete reset of the radio, reloaded the profiles and the problem persisted. It does it using a paddle inserted into the key jack and also using multiple different keys and key types hooked up to the acc plug.

It seems that this is not an external problem but rather is caused by an internal malfunction. Is there a work around that I have not yet tried? CW is more than half my operating so it is important to me.

Fred, K0FG

Comments

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Try using dummy load? Any reading at all on power out or swr indicators? Check your key connection. Etc.

73 es GL

Martin AA6E

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

With the straight key:

--"Iambic" control disabled?

--"Dot/Dash Swap enabled?

--Straight key wired per manual?

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭
    Options

Have not used dummy load but doubt that it would show anything considering that the xmit light is only on for maybe half a second. The power out indicator on the screen shows nothing. Makes no difference if I run 1 watt or 100 watts.

The straight key, cootie and bug are connected in parallel into the acc port. They all exhibit the same problem. When they work, 99% of the time, they work just fine. It's just this once in a while they don't work. Enough to send your cw into a spin when you don't get one character and then get the next character and you have to go back and resend the letter. When the xmit light comes on but there is no sidetone it's obvious you are not putting out any power. Pretty sure it is not the keys.

But keep giving me ideas, maybe we will find one that works.

Fred, K0FG

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Are you tuned to a valid ham frequency?

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭
    Options

If I were not tuned to a valid ham frequency why would it xmit 99% of the time and not the other 1%?

Fred, K0FG

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Please open a support ticket.

• K0FG_Fred
    K0FG_Fred Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you I will open a support ticket.

Fred, K0FG

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.