Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

External Powered Speakers for my 6400

Options
Mark Griffin
Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

GE Flexradio Community,

I have received a brand new 6400. I realize that the radio does not have an internal speaker. So I was out on Amazon last evening looking for External Powered Speakers. In a prior post about the topic I was told that I cannot use the USB Powered Speakers connected to the 6400. I assume that if I was able to connect the USB Connector to my Computer that it should work without any issues. Is there anyone out there in the Community that uses USB Powered Speakers connected to their Flexradio 6000 Series?

Thanks!

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Answers

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Why not just connect the powered speakers directly to the speaker out on the radio? You would just need speakers with a 3.5mm connector.

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    Options

Geoff,

I fully intend on doing that. But most of the powered speakers on the market are powered via a USB Cable that is connected to your computer.

Mark KB3Z

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I think you will find that better quality powered speakers are powered from an external power supply. The USB connection cannot supply much current.

Just my 2 cents...

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Geoff!

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Geoff!

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The usb connector on the flex is for controlling external equipment, so it does not supply sound or power.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Boise Companion III powered speakers connected to the Line output of the 6400 or to the output of your computer will give you good audio quality. And no RFI problems. I use the older Companion II and find them to provide really good audio for the size of the speakers. There are more expensive speakers such as powered studio monitors. ( I have those as well) But, the Boise speakers work fine.

James

WD5GWY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.