Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is it possible to phase lock two Flex-6400's or Flex-6600's?

Options
Hi All,
I have been looking through the archive - I have found good info on the use of external references and phase noise, but I haven't seen info to answer the following:

Using the external reference or the internal GPSDO is it possible to phase lock two Flex 6400's or 6600's?

Note that I would like to phase lock the two radios on the bench, not just frequency lock them (that I think is achieved using the GPSDO or suitable external reference oscillator).
Thanks - John AF4ZE
Tagged:

Answers

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi John,

I have two phase locked 6700 by virtue that they both locked to the same 10MHz Trimble Thunderbolt GPS reference oscillator. (As well as all of my test equipment)

Bill AB7AA

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Might want to check with Flex to see if that actually locks phase.

• rfjohn
    rfjohn Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Bill, Hi Len,
    Thanks for your quick input. Yes, I need phase locking (eg, on the same zero crossing of the ref input), and I am not clear on whether the radios do a frequency locking (where two radios may have a phase difference at the same frequency) or phase locking (both the frequency and absolute phases are matched). Yes, I may need Flex tech experts to chime in!
    Thanks though - I am getting closer!
    John AF4ZE
  • Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I can tell you that you can not hear any frequency beating of a single tone received by the two different radios. They are coherent. A phase difference, however, can always be measured depending on the total signal path difference from the source to the end measuring device, between the two receiving systems.

Bill AB7AA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.