Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RF Gain of one Slice affecting all Slices

My setup:

Flex 6500 running SmartSDR 3.4.23 on Windows 10

I have 4 slices running: Each Slice on one of the 4 WWV frequencies

Slice A - 2.500 MHz, Slice B - 5.000 MHz, Slice C - 10.000 MHz, Slice D - 15.000 MHz

Problem:

When I adjust the RF Gain on one slice that setting is applied to all three of the other Slices. I am feeding the audio stream into multiple instances of a spectrum analyzer program and that won’t work since signal strengths of each WWV frequency is varied. Should the RF Gain of each Slice not be independent? Or is something I’m doing or not doing causing this?

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

The 6500 has one spectral capture unit (think receiver front end)..

All slices use the same RX antenna so they use the same RF preamp. The 6600 or 6700 allow for using two different RX antennas simultaneously.

Dave wo2x

• N5DUP
    N5DUP Member ✭✭

Thanks, Dave. Makes sense to me. Each DAX channel has its own gain adjustment, I can make up for it there. Max rf gain on the radio, then throttle back whichever DAX channels need it to get the audio levels right for strong and weak WWV signals.

I’ve never had the ability to look at all 4 of the WWV signals simultaneously. This is awesome!

Thanks,

Paul - N5DUP

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭

I would not recommend using max antenna RF gain. One notch below max works well. It seems to affect nonlinearities in the front end. I have used it on a non resonant RX antennas. On 80m and 160 I reduce it another notch or two to improve dynamic range.

Each Receiver has an AGC-T that is very effective and takes some practice to optimize the functionality of the receiver.

Bill

W9JJB

• N5DUP
    N5DUP Member ✭✭

Thanks, Bill.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.