Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Dumb Questions - VHF Transverter for Flex 6400

Options
rbenton01
rbenton01 Member
The need - HF works great from my QTH, VHF not so much, as I'm kind of located in a hole. There are many times I want to hit distant repeaters I can only hear. With my YAESU FTM-400, I looked at the possibility of increasing power via an amplifier for those occasions, but maybe a 150w tranverter such as L144-28HP150 from Q5 Signal that was discussed on Tim's video is a better option.
Questions -
1. How do you achieve off-set frequencies to align with VHF repeaters? I assume you would use Flex' FDX in some fashion.
2. And with the off-set, is there a global way to set those, making it easier when tuning frequencies?
3. The $849 pricetag for the Q5 Signal 150w VHF unit seems a bit high. Worth it? Other units with a better value?
73 - Ray, KE0YXX
Tagged:

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options
    1. Notice on slice B, set to FM, that I clicked on OPT to show the FM options. I set the offset to 0.6 (same as 600 KHz) and in this case, I set it to a minus offset. This repeater uses a 100 Hz subaudible tone, so I selected CTCSS TX and 100.0 Hz. Note that I have slice B set for TX. With this setup, I will transmit on 146.100 and receive on 146.700. Even with a 6400, I can simultaneously receive another frequency (146.52 simplex, in this case).

2. The easiest is to set up the repeaters in memory.

3. The Q5 transverters are a bit pricey, but are among the best available. Mine is a cheap one that works fine for me (weekly FM club nets, etc), but if you do a lot of 2 M work, it may well be worth the money to get the Q5. If I didn't already have an 80 W amp, I probably would have bought the Q5.

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Like @rbenton01 I want to hit FM repeaters near my home-station, when I am remote.

Looking at the transverters, they all talk about 144MHz - 146MHz, seemingly aimed at EME, weak-signal (SSB, CW), but they lack information about FM, repeaters, and 146MHz - 148MHz.

An inquiry to HA1YA reveals that his transverters are fine for 144MHz - 148MHz. So that RF-out is good.

http://www.ha1ya.hu/htmkepek/me2t_protransverterspec.htm

But what about the input? They all call for 28MHz-30MHz as the I.F. which gives you only 2MHz of coverage (then they mix with a 116MHz local-oscillator in the transverter).

QUESTION: Can the FlexRadio 6400 "Transverter" port give me +10dBm TX from 28MHz - 32MHz? This "extended coverage" beyond operating on 10m would address my desire.

Thanks in advance!

(and thanks to @KD0RC for screenshots showing CTSS, offsets, memories and other FM-ish stuff 😀

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Gord, the simple answer is "Yes".

Your 6400 transverter port will transmit places that the regular antenna ports will not. This gives you full coverage of the 2 meter band if your transverter is up to it.

• KD0RC
    Options

Hey Gord, I just looked at the nice specs of the HA1YA transverters. The products look great, but I don't see any prices listed there. What did it cost to get it shipped to BC? Have you tried it yet with your 6400?

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    Options

I had to ask for pricing; I don't have it yet, as I'm "radio-$$$ challenged" at the moment 😯 and Christmas is right around the corner. I was quoted shipping (Can / US) at 55Euro via FedEx.

I'm attaching the .PDF, but the summary: around $1000 Euro for single-band. Pricey.

On the website, the specs look good (hopefully this link remains for later Googlers):

http://www.ha1ya.hu/htmkepek/me2t_protransverterspec.htm

• KD0RC
    Options

Wow... More expensive than Q5 by quite a bit. The 150 watt Q5 is around $800 USD. The 25 watt Q5 is only $500 USD.

I thought it might be a little pricey given the excellent specs, but I didn't think it would exceed the Q5!

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I also would like to add my endorsement of Q5 equipment as they perform very well. Corey does an excellent job of supporting his products.

Bill AB7AA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.