Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

VibroBug (VibroKeyer, bug) mode 6xxx family internal keyer (Feature Request / enhancement)

Options
Gord-VA7GP
Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
edited May 2023 in New Ideas

I would love to see SmartSDR / FlexRadio 6xxx include a VibroBug mode like K1EL WinKeyer.

(for the curious: This mode allows the single-lever VibroKeyer to initiate a string of dots produced by the electronic keyer when one contact (dot) is closed, but allows the operator to manually form dashes when moving the single-lever to the other (dash) contact).

One Reference (2018):

https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/comment/16766967#Comment_16766967

1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    Options

Well...

Page 160 / 206 from the now-current Flex (Version 3) User Guide:

"A paddle set can be used as a “bug” by disabling the Iambic control. In this mode, one paddle will

key the transmitter continuously, the other will create a string of dots. In both of these

configurations, the Swap control reverses the paddle assignments."

So, I guess my request is already implemented, but it seems un-intuitive to turn off a named feature (Iambic) to achive a different / un-named feature...

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I have a 6400 running 3.4.23. If I turn off Iambic, I get straight-key action from either paddle, not an emulated bug.

What model/version Flex are you running?

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is always the possibility of plugging an actual bug into the Flex.

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

@KD0RC you are right! Although I read what I thought was the solution in the manual, home-after-work testing shows that the manual is wrong 😯 And you are correct.

I get only straight-key action from my VibroKeyer ☹️ I suppose filing a bug-report is in order, not a Feature Request, nor RTFM. Done - #58968

@Neil D Friedman N3DF the reason I use VibroKeyers (plural, yes) is because I have a happy and growing collection of actual bugs. I don't want to interrupt the 45+yrs of ham-muscle-memory from using bugs (a couple of which are now 80yrs old; I'm the second-owner, having known the original owners and the provenance of each bug!). VibroKeyers are a perfect complement/alternative for me to enjoy.

@KD0RC I forgot your actual question: Flex 6400, everything up-to-date 3.4.23 also. Thank you for your suggestion and allowing me to confirm that the manual is wrong.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

FYI 6600M/6400M user guide makes no mention of bug emulation. I realize you are using 6400.

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

I got a reply from Ken Wells - basically, the manual contains an error, and neither the 6400M / 6400non-M will work in my desired Bug mode. Only the Maestro is capable of doing this:

"The "Bug Mode" is only implemented in the Maestro (Not the M-Model Front Panel) because the Maestro has a WinKeyer chip installed that allows the function. 

But the function is not enabled when the Key is connected to the back of the radio 

Sorry for any confusion."

In the meantime my work-around is to leave the Flex in "straight-key mode" (ie Iambic off) and then use an external WinKeyer. Feels like more clutter than need-be, though.

From the 6400M User Guide, there is mention of this Bug Mode:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.