Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex-6000 USB port to N3FJP Rig Interface

So I am trying to get my Flex-6400 interfaced with the computer that is running AC Log. I already have my IC-7610 interfaced to it. The USB-A to USB-A cable I have is not working. Device Manager in Windows 10 doesn’t even see it. In the Flex video on USB use on the Flex 6000 series radios Mike made a comment that a USB cable with the prolific chipset will not work and that it needed to be a FTDI cable. I did find some USB A to USB A FTDI cables but they are kind of expensive. If any of you are running a Flex 6XXX radio and AC Log rig interface with a USB to USB cable, do you mind sharing with me what brand cable you used and if it was indeed a FTDI USB-A to USB-A cable?

Thanks,

Paul - N5DUP

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Paul, you don't need a USB cable at all. ACLog will operate over the LAN. In ACLog, Settings, Rig Interface, select FlexAPI and click the Test button. It should find the radio and start showing your frequency. Click the Done button and you are good to go.

• N5DUP
    N5DUP Member ✭✭

Worked like a hose! Once again, BIG THANKS, Len!

Paul - N5DUP

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Glad to help!

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

To expand on what Len has written, the USB ports on the back of the Flex are send only – they have no ability to receive data. They are intended to provide control to antenna switches, antenna tuners, SteppIR antenna controllers and the like.

For logging or other software that is not designed to interface to radios on the LAN, SmartSDR CAT is provided as a standard part of SmartSDR. It enables defining virtual COM ports to connect WITHOUT CABLES to many different software packages. Functions offered on these virtual COM ports include rig control, PTT operation, access to the built-in WinKey emulator, and OTRSP, a protocol for Single Operator 2 Radio configuration. You can define many ports and may have multiple rig-control ports for various support software. There is information on CAT in the User Guide, and a separate SmartSDR CAT User Guide is available for download from the FlexRadio website.

73, Craig  KØCF

• N5DUP
    N5DUP Member ✭✭

Thank you, Craig. As a new user of the Flex-6000 series radios and the software suite for them, it’s all a little confusing. I appreciate you taking the time post that explanation. It helped me and I hope it might help others. I do now have the radios interfaced to my N3FJP software and my SPE amp and it’s working great. Thanks again.

Paul

N5DUP

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.