Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Transition from 2 x IC-7610 with 2 x SPE 2K-FA to 1 x FLEX 6600M

Options
EA8DIG
EA8DIG Member ✭✭

Re: Transition from 2 x IC-7610 with 2 x SPE 2K-FA to 1 x FLEX 6600M

Colleagues,

The current setup is as follows:

• 2 x IC-7610
  • 2 x SPE 2K-FA
  • Microham U2R audio interface
  • Array Solutions SO2R kit (1 X 8 Pack antenna switch, 2 x FilterMax IV BPFs, 2 x SM-8 Shack Masters)
  • Steppir DB36 (RUN)
  • Steppor DB18 (MULT)

I want to swap the 2 x IC-7610 for a single Flex 6600M.

What cables do I need for a seamless swap ?

TKS

Anton

EA8DIG / ED8M

Comments

• EA8DIG
    EA8DIG Member ✭✭
    Options

PS I want to swap the 2 x IC-7610 for a single Flex 6600M to run it with my 2 x SPE 2K-FAs.

TKS

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

My 2 cents:

• sell the Microham as you don't need it
    • You can send band data from back of the 6600M to each Steppir dedicated to each SCU of the radio
    • Dedicate the SPE's, one to each antenna port of the radio and use TX1 on 1 amp and TX2 to the other Amp
    • Sell the Array solutions stuff including filters and replace them with 1 Antenna Genius 2x8.

That's off the top of my head.

But, the short story it is a lot simpler, a lot less equipment and a lot less RFI concerns.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

As Mike pointed out, you can use two USB to serial cables from the radio to each SteppIR controller for frequency information.

Use two Denkovi or SainSmart USB 8 relay boards plugged into radio and set up as bit cables. Set each to follow Ant 1 and Ant 2 to give band relays for the Filter Max IV BPFs.

Also two USB to serial CAT cables for each amp to radio to follow TX antenna 1 and 2.

You will need a USB powered hub as the radio only has two USB ports.

Here is the Flex USB cable interface guide https://edge.flexradio.com/www/uploads/20200818184951/USB-Cable-Interface-Guide.pdf

You should be able to eliminate the two 7610s, the Microham U2R, and Array solutions equipment, except the BPFs.

That would be my recommendation.

Dave wo2x

• Gary Ashdown
    Gary Ashdown Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

Just a FYI for those who want to run 6 antennas with full QRO system from SPE ☺️

I set mine up using a log periodic for 10 - 30mhz and resonant antennas for all other bands.

2 USB from pc to SPE's. Flex 6700 talks via cat Y cable to both spe. Also running SPE remote antenna system (AMB-02) for 6 antenna's.

Works perfectly on every band and the whole system is monitored/controlled from my pc. I never touch the radio or any other part of the setup.

1 coax cable from the shack going out through my window is all i have. Nothing else required.

I also have a 6600 which has 1 coax cable through my window going to multi band vertical which gives me full SOR2 on all bands whilst running QRO.

cheers

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.