Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Sound

Options

Hio all

New issue here...

I have the sound muted on both the top right menu of SSDR (version 2.7.6 , it was just impossible to install version 2.9, no idea why !), as well as in the menu just below the frequency indication. BUT I still hear the sound.

Whether I have PC Audio selected or not makes no difference. I still hear the sound.

What am I missing (Windows 10) ? I want to mute it (basically when I work FT8)

Thanks + 73

Paul F6EXV

Comments

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Paul... can you give us a bit more detail as to how you have connected up your radio soundwise?

What radio are you using? Are you just using the audio from the PC? Is there anything plugged into the headphone jack on the radio itself?

I'm not sure what you mean by "I have the sound muted...top right menu... menu just below the frequency indication."

On SmartSDR (for Windows PC), here's what my flag looks like:

The 'mute' button is one the left (the speaker) and you need to right click it to mute it off.

What are you seeing? That would help us.

• Paul F6EXV
    Paul F6EXV Member ✭✭
    Options

Don

1/ Yes, I have speakers connected to the Flex 6500 (sorry I forgot to mention the rig) , in the back.

2/ Yes, the mute button is on, both in the flag as you show it, and next to the PC Audio button at top right of SSDR screen.

Paul F6EXV

• Paul F6EXV
    Paul F6EXV Member ✭✭
    Options

Now, something new... Will it ever work and stay stable ??

I hear the 6500 sound on both the speakers connected to the Flex, and on the speakers connected to the PC...

When using the Flex, I only want the sound out of the Flex speakers. How to achieve that ?

Also, why is it impossible to install version 2.9.1 ? And should I install it ?

Thanks + 73

Paul F6EXV

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

In SmartSDR, unselect PC Audio in upper right to mute PC speakers.

What fails during upgrade? You may want to open a Help Desk ticket. Sounds like something in the PC operating system is blocking the upgrade.

Dave wo2x

• Paul F6EXV
    Paul F6EXV Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Dave

PC Audio is unselected (not blue).

Update to 2.9.1 gets stuck, no error message, but no update !

Paul F6EXV

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Paul...

I'm assuming you've got your speakers connected to the Powered Speaker/Line Out on the back of the 6500?

And how have you got the PC connected to the radio?

The 'mute' button in the top right of SmartSDR only mutes the PC Audio stream. The one in the flag (as I presented) mutes audio from the slide receiver.

BTW, I'm running 2.9.1 on my 6500, so I know it will work. And mine is rock-stable -- I pretty much leave it on 24x7.

As Dave said, I would take note of any error conditions, lights flashing on the front panel, etc. and contact the Help Desk.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Slight correction... The mute button in the upper right hand corner mutes all slices whether audio is coming from the radio speakers or PC Audio. The mute buttons on the individual slices mute each slice independently.

• Paul F6EXV
    Paul F6EXV Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Don

Yes, speakers connected on the back of the 6500. There is only one way to connect the PC to the radio, USB cable. Any way, after "playing" around with the 25 million sound cards shown by Win10, I think I solved the issue... untill next time.

Ecevrytime (or close) I close the Flex to go to my 7300 for 6m FT8, the computer looses track of the sound card to use. This is extremely anbnoying, but I think it is a Windows issue.

I will try again for version 2.9.1. Wghen I aml ready to go to bed, so as to leave time for my PC to work all night !

Paul F6EXV

• Paul F6EXV
    Paul F6EXV Member ✭✭
    Options

**** again !

JTDX (or any other FT8 program) again looses its configuration. There is reading on SSDR waterfall, but no decoding on JTDX...

JTDX has the correct sound setup, but no decode. I am about to sell my 6500 !

Help please (tomorrow, I am off to bed ...)

Paul F6EXV

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hmmmm, Paul... I'm concerned about your statement "There is only one way to connect the PC to the radio, USB cable." That's not correct. I'm hoping you mean you have the radio connected either directly to the PC via CAT-6 ethernet cable, or the radio is connected to a router/switch (again via CAT-6) and the PC is also connected to the router/switch via CAT-6, or the PC is connected via WI-Fi.

The USB ports on the back of the 6500 are not for interconnection of the radio to the PC. From the SmartSDR manual (page 118) "The USB Cables feature provides a means to control external devices such as amplifiers, antenna controllers, and tuners via USB to Serial data cables..." "This feature is limited to FTDI USB cables which contain embedded circuitry..."

I'm assuming your "... playing with Win 10 sound cards..." is to do with getting the speakers attached to your PC to work???

Again, a description of how you have your PC and radio attached together would help. (All the connections :-) )

Sorry, can't help you with the JTDX stuff, but there are lots of people here on the community that do that. I would suggest posting a new topic with that as the header. I do remember you must select DIGU as the mode in order to get sufficent bandwidth for decoding....

• Paul F6EXV
    Paul F6EXV Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Don

Yes, I guess my nervousness made me write this statement wrong... The Flex is connected via a router. The Flex does work fine, the sound card does work, and I do get the sound to the proper speakers.

I will follow your advice and sart a new post for my FT8 issue.

Thanks + 73

Paul F6EXV

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.