Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Best SDR approach

Options

Flex 6500 and Mac Mini M2. To a potential new mac user, what software approach would you recommend to run this hardware setup. Any cautions that you would recommend be taken.

Tnx 73 Steve

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

You will need Loopback, or some other audio connection tool to connect to whatever SDR software you use if you plan to use DAX on the radio. As to SDR software, you have two choices: dogparkSDR, or SSDR for Mac. TheSSDR for Mac is closest to the Windows SSDR, but dogparkSDR also works well.

Mac and Flex radios make a good combination. That said, I still use Windows in a VM for those digital apps that just don’t work well on a Mac.

• Jean_Luc F5JRC
    Jean_Luc F5JRC Member ✭✭
    Options

And if you want a more sophisticated logbook, you have two options: paid MaxLoggerDX which works in conjunction with DogparkSDR (same very responsive author) and RUMlogNG (free) which works admirably well with the Flex6500 and whose contest part is very sufficient if you're not a very seasoned challenger.

Like Ted I also keep the possibility of running a PC for some software like N1MM, CW Skimmer… and you can also run both computers at the same time, SmartSDR Mac on one side and WSJT on the PC (using CAT and DAX on the PC).

For my part, I also use a Numark DJ2GO2 Midi interface with my Flex6500, which allows me to program the two VFOs for split pileups, left ear for DX, right ear for calling stations, so I can follow and anticipate where the DX station is listening. It's very effective!

Unfortunately I cannot make this interface work on PC only on Mac with SmartSDR which guided my choice.

73, Jean-Luc / F5JRC

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I second Jean-Luc's endorsement of the Numark DJ2Go2. Works fabulously with SSDR Mac, and extremely flexible. Great job by Marcus.

• Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you....I loaded dogspark to take advantage of the free trial. All loaded well but I couldn't get the radio and dogspark talking to each other. Couldn't open a slice. Is there anything in the mac setup that needs tweaking for this to work? Need to look for a users guide or maybe SSDR Mac may be more user friendly.

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I no longer routinely use dogparkSDR (I do use MacloggerDx), so can’t really hel pout, BUT there is a Google Group to support dogparkSDR - you may want to visit that. https://groups.google.com/g/dogparksdr

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hi

i am a long time mac and flex radio user...

My current setup is Flex 6600m, and array for various mac running from Macbook Air M1, Mac Mini M1, as well as IOS devices, ipad pro , iPhone 14 and apple watch 4... also have multiple mac minis setup as a server farm that can connect to my 6600m across my home network...

My recommendation are

Macssdr from Marcus for over all sdr interface to the radio ( $$)

as well as integrated digital modes and log

Also Macssdr interface operations are very similar to Windows version SSDR...so going back and forth between mac and windows is very easy too

as more robust and feature rich than dpsdr

MACLoggerDX ( mldx) from Don ($$)...has builtin cluster with filters, award tracking to name a few features

one of best mac loggers

xDax and xCat from Mario for interface to various digital programs (freebee)

Loopback for audio routing between apps ($$)...the one of best mac audio routing s/w

these needed if running FT8 from WSJTX or JTDX

WSJTX for FT8 operations (freebee)

FLDIGI for RTTY other digital modes (freebee)

JT-Bridge for aggregating multiple FT8 Streams ( freebee)

yea...you can run more than one FT8 app simultaneously...i have done all 4 slices with the 6600m

you may notice i did not show dogpark SDR... (dpsdr)

it is good piece of ssdr s/w but there are nuances in the interface for me that at time confused me

and

from my experience, i believe Macssdr is better of the two based on ease of use and its full feature set.

i will be glad to answer any question about flex radio and mac usage

Paul K3SF

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Paul pretty well covered it :-)

Just watch out for interaction between xDax / xCat and SSDR for Mac. In fact watch out for interactions between MacLoggerDX and SSDR for Mac (probably only if you start up a second instance of SSDR on another Mac). I have had SSDR Mac not start up properly when other clients (DAX/CAT/Logger) were connected first to the radio. I expect you may not have these issues because you do not have a GUI on the radio, and will be using SSDR Mac for that. I have a 6600M and constantly run into this problem - Marcus had no solution.

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

hi Ted

SPOT ON...i have fallen into that trap...one time too many ;-)

yep....have to start macssdr first...

so for first time user, macssdr with mldx is best way to get started

if that is good enough..great..if you want more there are more ways

i am always experimenting...that is my lifetime adventure with hamradio and flex too

Paul K3SF

• Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    Options

Jean, Ted, Paul......thank you for your advice and suggestions. I think we'll give SSDR for Mac a try today.

73. Steve

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    Options

SmartSDR for the Mac is the best. Marcus designed feature rich work of art.

• Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Dan......I bought SSDR for mac and have it installed. Now I need to live with it for a while to find out where everything is located but the good news is it's working.

My biggest issue for now is: what mouse are you guys using? I tried a magic mouse and I don't like it......tried a logitech m510 it's better but in mac ssdr is there a setting for freq. steps when you spin the thumbwheel (been looking but no luck yet) sometimes I need to click 2 to 4 times before things happen. Also the thumbwheel works in the opposite direction from win11.

This is probably not the right place to be asking these questions.....time to read the manual!!!

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

hi steve

in settings you can set mouse wheel direction...

just set it to reverse...

Paul K3SF

Oh..i use logitech mouse on the mac mini and the trackpad on my macbook air

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Steve, I use Magic Mouse, so don't have a feel for others. But, in SmartSDR=>Preferences=>Mouse/Trackpad dialog box there is options for Enable Mouse Wheel, Legacy Mouse Support, Reverse, Swap X/Y and Sensitivty Now on changing freq and freq steps... I found the easiest way is to turn on slice details: View=>Slice Details or alternatively click on the slice flag with mouse. Now, A Slice Details dialog box will appear. There are many useful things you can do in this dialog box, but related to changing freq and freq steps. Click on STEP and change to your preferred step value. I use 500 for USB/LSB mode. Above the you will see the Freq displayed and arrow symbols for stepping up or down in freq. Try these, they are quite useful for stepping up and down a band. (Everything in this Slice Details box is useful, go through all and try all) On freq change, of course, you can always double click on panadapter screen to change slice frequency. Also, set BW (vertical menu on left) something like 50 or 75 - it zooms in and makes it easier to see Slice signals and helps when changing freq. Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, fire away.... Dan de WA1QZX

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

hi steve

even i forgot about how to do step size...it is a pull down menu in slice panel

paul K3SF

• Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Dan......great info especially the slice detail......time to sit back and go thru the user guide. Enjoy your day!

Steve 73 K3WKM

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

Steve, for latest manual click on Help=>SmartSDR Help and that will fire up a Safari browser tab at this URL: https://documents.roskosch.de/smartsdr-mac/

It is very well written and up to date.

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I use a Kensington trackball and a DJ2Go2 with SSDR Mac - both work great. I generally use the arrow keys to finely adjust frequency, setting the step size as needed - I usually use 100 Hz with snap to step.