Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Kuhne TR432H & TR144H +40 /w 6600M

ka9ees
ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

I am currently using an Icom IC-9700 for satellite work. I just made a deal on this pair of transverters. They were used with a 6600M before. They are coming bare i.e. no sequencing relay or USB devices.

What do I need to get started with them?

2m preamp is an SHF 144VOX 70cm is an Icom AG35.

Best Answers

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Ed - I have some experience with the SatPC program, (and many years prior to that, the NOVA for Windows tracking program). Both do the pretty good job. What caused me to change my mind about using the Flex for my satellite operation is the CSN Technologies S.A.T. Interface. In case you're not familiar with this product, all its software is fully self contained so there's no need additional satellite tracking software. The S.A.T. Interface controls the radio, Yaesu G5400 or G5500 or G5600 Az/El rotators, corrects for Doppler Shift, provides for easy KEP updates, and it also provides numerous graphical tracking views as well.

Don't get me wrong, by no means am I knocking the Flex, it's great, but I've shifted to using my Flex and Transverters for terrestrial work, and leave satellite operation to my IC-9700 and S.A.T. device.

If you haven't taken a close look at the operation of S.A.T. device, see the video below:

(This video is about year old. SInce it was posted on Youtube CSN Techologies has sent out several (free) software updates which has added even more features.)

Butch, KF4HR

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

I started using an IC-9700 for satellite work, then moved to the Flex-6600. I sold the 9700 and never looked back.

I had both working with SATpc32 just fine. However, the 9700 was frustrating to use since you need to use RIT and PWR at the same time on each in every QSO even with full doppler correction as the same knob. It is was a bit frustrating.

However, using SatPC32 with a Flex and 2 transverters is reasonably straight forward. One transverter on XVTa and the other on XVTb. Make sure you correctly configure the RF stages as described by the transverse manufacturer.

For SatPC32, you are setting up 2 Kenwood TS-2000's on 2 separate CAT ports. You create these CAT ports in Smart SDR CAT and assign one to Slice A and the other to Slice B. When you start SmartSDR, make sure you have Slice A in 1 panadapter and Slice B in the other panadapter. Make sure you set your XVTa ports to match VHF and UHF. I put the RX on top and the TX on the bottom.

Turn on FDX on the radio.

Once you get it all set up set up 2 Global profiles. I have a Mode-B Global (VHF RX and UHF TX) and a Mode-J which is UHF-RX and VHF-TX. FlexSATPC is very helpful, but not required to get going. I have it, but I have never had to actually use it.

Now, go make some contacts. You will perfectly follow Amsat's One True Rule. This is a must. If you do it this way, you'll never have to touch a knob on the radio while in a QSO.

Now, I can see people in QSO and people call CQ. I would never go back to the IC-9700.

I've made about 500 Q's so far.

Mike va3mw

Answers

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

Hi Ed,

Initially I began collecting components to work the birds with my Flex-6700 (2MLDPA, 70cm Transverter, etc) but after doing some research I decided to take a simpler route and go with an IC-9700, CSN Technologies S.A.T. Tracker, and M2 LEO-PACK antenna system. I've been using this setup for over a year on the birds. The CSN S.A.T Tracker device ties everything together: graphical satellite tracking, rig control, Az/El antenna rotator control, and Doppler correction. This setup fully automates satellite operation, and is a joy to use.

To give you an idea what's involved with setting a Flex up for the Satellites, scroll down on the page below and you'll find a wiring Satellite diagram setup for a F-6700. The setup for your 6600M will be somewhat similar but you'll be using a VHF Transverter rather than the 2mLDPA shown.

https://stationproject.blog/2019/05/27/satellite-station-4-0-part-7-sdr-sat/

Butch, KF4HR

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭

Hopefully, someone using a 6600 model with transverters will add to this topic. But, I think it should be simpler than the method described in the article above since the 6600 radios have two transverter ports instead of just one.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

@Butch

I used my 9700 for a while. I have an AMSAT LVB Tracker. Plus SatPC32. It works quite well. Maybe not as simple as the SAT. But, it was only $100 used. What I figured out about the 9700. It's deaf as a stump. It requires external preamps. As long as you have those it's good to go. My AG35 gave up the ghost. If you turned it on, you got zero receive signal through it. If it's off you won't hear much. The internal preamp helps. But leaves a lot to be desired.

I then decided to try a couple xvtrs. A Kuhne TR 432 H and TR 144 H +40. My antennas are an M2 2MCP14 and a 436CP30. Turn'em with a Yaesu G5500 DC.

@Rick N4RZ

Connection to the 6600M is pretty straight forward. I have had pretty good luck with it. I am using FlexSatPC by W0DHB along with SatPC32. You need a global profile for every bird. Once you set a generic profile. FlexSatPC will build all you need automatically. It's really cool. I does take some setup. All you need to know is in the documentation. I have an 8 relay USB board to control voltage for the preamps. Both my BIAS-Tees are home brew (not by me). I have yet to get them configured.

I have found using the 6600 is far easier than the 9700. At least when using FlexSatPC. Except with Greencube (IO-117). I have made several hundred calls to it. Many different passes. I have yet to hear my call echoed back to me. I have only made one contact. I don't know what I am doing wrong there.

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Hi Ed. I'm sorry to hear your IC-9700 receiver is "deaf as a stump." That's really odd. You might want to have ICOM check it over. My IC-9700's receiver is very sensitive (even without external preamps). Additionally I've found a large majority of satellite stations I work, are using the IC-9700 very successfully. As for my receive preamps, I only use them when the satelites drop below 5 degrees my horizon, and that's only because my small M2 LEO-PACK satellite antenna system is mounted on a tripod, only 9 feet off the ground, but even so, my IC-9700 hears the birds amazing well. I have made many contacts on the birds and I found have no need for longer yagis here.

I should also mention my decision to use the IC-9700 on the satellites wasn't financial. I have a 2MLDPA (75w Low Drive PA), and a Q5 100w-70cm Transverter connected to my Flex-6700, and have tried this setup on the birds, but I because of the ease of operation I much prefer using my IC-9700 and S.A.T Interface.

In any case, I'm glad to hear your set up is working well for you.

Enjoy,

Butch, KF4HR

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@Butch

I'm gonna have to give the 9700 another try. It was doing a great job prior to my going to the Flex.

The setup in SatPC_32 is so different when using FlexSatPC. I think going back to the 9700 needs a different configuration. So I need to get that right first.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@Butch

I went ahead and bought one today. I should have bought one a year ago! They're kind of pricey now.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited May 2023

this might help and I showed that the setup on the 6600 is pretty simple.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@Butch

I had the RF gain on the 9700 set wrong. That is why it was "deaf as a stump"... Once I got the S.A.T. setup it is really cool! I like how it shows you the different modes for each bird. I have about three weeks to decide wether I am going to keep the 9700 or the XVTRS.

• Duane  N9DG
    Duane N9DG Member ✭✭

A key advantage of the 6600M / transverter over the IC-9700 is that you can run all 4 RX's of the 6600 on the 2M band if you want to. That is is extremely useful for being able to keep a continous ear on the CW/SSB part of the weak signal band while simulataneously having a another RX on the FT8 frequency. And with a second WSJT-X session you could have a 3rd RX also watching one of the other WSJT-X modes. Though doing 3 RX's would require also using the desktop PC client.

Also the scope of the 6600MM is much better, and you can have more than one of those on the same band too.

People tend to not understand, or are dissmissive of the idea of runing more than 2 RX's, or a single band scope at a time on a single band. Once you learn to use that kind of configuration, using anything less feels very constraining.

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Ed - Glad to hear you got your IC-9700 and S.A.T. Interface up and running. Each to their own of course, but I much prefer my 9700/S.A.T. combination over using my Flex with my Transverters, Sat32, dealing with CAT setup, etc. Once you get the hang of the IC-9700's RIT control operating the rig is very simple and straight forward. And the folks at CSN Technologies have thought of everything the S.A.T. self contained software.

Also if you haven't already found it, CSN recently added another interesting feature. When you click on the "GROUND" label at the top right of the screen this will toggle between your Ground elevation rise tracking window and a list of satellites in your 'favorites list' along with their Max Elevation, AOS, and Time To Go for each bird.

If you run into any questions with your S.A.T. don't hestiate to reach out to CSN. They reply to email questions very quickly, and will even offer to set up a Zoom conference to help if you need hands on help. Very good customer service for sure.

Hope to hear you on the birds soon!

Butch, KF4HR

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@Duane N9DG

I have trouble keeping track of one slice. Let alone three. 😎

@Butch

It's running great and works really well with IO-117. I am not gonna give up on the Flex though.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@Mike-VA3MW

Very good video! Learned a bit more. Keeping the xvrtrs. I have to swap back and forth between the LVB Tracker and the S.A.T. to use the 9700 and the Flex. The S.A.T. is a no brainer with the 9700. The Flex has far more gain than the 9700 and a quieter receiver.

I like them both.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.