Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

"micaudiodax.sys" driver cannot load on Win 11

Options

While installing SmartSDR 2.8.1 on a new Dell PC running Windows 11 Home (22H2) I received the below notice on reboot. Is this driver necessary for DAX? How do I get it installed, if so? T

73, Duane AC5AA

Best Answer

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

OK, found the right key to getting to the correct Windows Security window - there appear to be at least two of them. Here's the secret key:

• From the search box, enter "Windows Security"
    • open the Windows Security APP that is pointed to
    • Select Device Security in the left column
    • Select Core Isolation Details
    • Turn the Memory integrity slider left to the "off" position
    • You will be prompted to reboot - do that.

Now the driver runs but I'm running with lower protection against trojan horses. I will be openin a ticket for Flex to fix the drivers.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Answers

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I think this is related to a Win11 security feature called 'Memory Integrity' (see Settings/Privacy and Security/Windows Security). When this is turned on, the DAX drivers have difficulty being installed (at least on my computer). And if you turn it off, then install 2.8.1, then attempt to turn it back on, then all sorts of nasty messages show up.

I think it's a compatibility issue with the DAX drivers and this 'new' feature of Win11.

I have the Memory Integrity setting on my PC turned off for the while, until this gets resolved. I haven't had any security issues with the PC.

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, Don - I'm going to adopt your approach. Thanks also for the quick response.

73, Duane AC5AA

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Quick question, Don - how did you turn the Memory Integrity off? I find the Device Security link in the Windows Security setting window but neither it nor the "Open Windows Security" button do anything (other than indicate that I've clicked on them.) Right or left click = no response.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

You may have to open that feature in Administrative mode to be able to change it.

James

WD5GWY

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, James - ,y account has Adminstrator privileges. I'm wondering if somehow Norton's software has something to do with disabling it . . .

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Duane... On my PC, I go to Settings/Privacy and Security/Windows Security/Device Security and I get the following screen:

Note the slider switch for Memory Integrity. Depending upon how you set up your PC, this may already be 'on'. On mine, I had SmartSDR already installed when I upgraded to Win11 (I'm pretty sure, anyway) and this may have inhibited it being turned 'on'. If you have Win11 installed before installing SmartSDR, this may be a problem. If your case is the latter, I would suggest opening a Help Desk ticket to get the Flex folks to give you a hand.

The other option... if you don't need DAX, you could just not install that when you install SmartSDR....

Hope this helps..

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Duane, that could be a possibility. I am running a refurbished Dell pc with Windows 11 pro that I bought from a local pc shop. I haven't (so far) encountered any DAX or CAT problems with SmartSDR. I am running SmartSDR v3.3.33. Also running an older pc I built years ago with Windows 7 pro. I wouldn't be surprised if your anti-virus or firewall is causing the problem.

James

WD5GWY

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

OK, just to try to isolate the issue, I uninstalled Norton 360 and the DAX driver still failed to load with the same information message. Additionally, with my account's "Administrator" privilege verified, I could not get into the "Device Security" entry to disable the Memory Integrity. I get this far, and nothin happens when I click those areas other than the selection "depresses" as if it's going to initiate the operation, but nothing happens. (Yes, I rebooted after the Norton uninstall!). Time to open a ticket and see if someone at the mother ship can help.

Thanks for all the suggestions - was hoping to be able to get on for the FT8WW on a digital mode, and of course be ready for Bouvet Island!

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This is what I see when I get to Windows Security

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I know you have this solved, Duane (thanks for the DM!), but for others...

From this point (your screenshot), click on the Open Windows Security button. Then select Device Security. Then you should see the screen I showed.

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

What happened to my follow-up? As I noted earlier, at the screen above clicking "Open Windows Security" does nothing. I found the way I had to go in was as follows:

• Search "Windows Security", and open the APP (no other path works for me on the current Win 11 build)
    • Click on "Device Security" (either in the left column, or the icon for it)
    • Under Core Isolation, click on "Core isolation details"
    • Now, on the Core isolation screen, slide the "Memory integrity" toggle off (to the left)
    • The system will need to reboot, but that should do it.

I hope this saves someone else a lot of time!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.