Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Morsekeyer ... good !

Options

Well, I finally got up the nerve to try a rag chew, LIVE, using Morse Keyer6K. I operate away from my 6400 , using LAN. Thus no key at my desk. CWX has worked well for the times I am exchanging reports with a DX station but I had avoided an actual ragchew QSO using a keyboard. Morsekey6K handled things well, easier than I expected , I recommend it for times you don't have access to a key . I would still like to use my straight key for SKCC activity but unless I use a 50 ft cable from back of 6400 to my operating position, that's not going to happen!

Andy K3UK

Comments

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    Options
    Well, for your Straight Key night, or other straight key activities - I can suggest RemoteKeyerInterface:
    https://groups.io/g/RemoteKeyerInterface

You have to join the group before you can see the Files. The Files are important to learn how to hook your straight key to the serial-port pins.

In a nutshell (now that I've spoiled the surprise): your key toggles a serial port line. The companion software lets you use Smartlink to connect to your Flex radio. The companion software then generates local sidetone (latency-free), key-closures for the Flex radio, and supports your use of a PTT switch also.

While I find it works well for me, there are a few warts to be aware of:

- does not remember your Smartlink login credentials. I have to cut-and-paste to re-login each time I fire up RemoteKeyerInterface

- does not remember your COM port.

- does not remember your choice of sidetone frequency; it always reverts to 600Hz (whereas I prefer 850Hz). Ditto for sidetone volume, and the "Invert Signals" toggle - which many users reqire.

Nonetheless, it is a viable option for remote straight-keying. But remember, you still may have network-latency which will affect: QSK (forget about this), turn-around time (may lose first character - but perhaps not if you're still within your own home)
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, very interesting

Andy K3UK

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.