Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SO2R and Diversity on 6600

I am having trouble getting my 6600 and Antenna Genius to behave the way I want them to, and am hoping someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. I am running SmartSDR 2.8.1, and my Antenna Genius is on 3.0.6.

Here is my use case. I am running Slice A on 80, and Slice B on 40m. On 80m I am transmitting on my Inverted-L on ANT1, and receiving on my K9AY on RXA. On 40m I am both transmitting and receiving on a dipole on ANT2. All is well at this point.

I then turn on Diversity on SliceA.

But the diversity slice (D) comes up receiving on ANT2. I want it to use ANT1 for both transmit and receive on the diversity slice (D). The 40m slice is still ok.

Here's the problem...If I try to switch the diversity receive antenna to ANT1, it also switches the receive antenna for the 40m slice.

I want the 40m slice to remain unaffected by the diversity antenna choices on SLICEA, and continue to receive and transmit on ANT2.

Is there a way to get around this behavior? I am wondering if I have something configured incorrectly, or if this is just the way the software works. If so, I think this is not an ideal behavior. Any advice would be appreciated. 73, Joel N9LQ

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Joel, what happens if you put slice A rx and tx on ANT 1 and the div slice rx on RX A, and tx on ANT 1. Does that have the same effect? Sorry, I only have a 6400, so I can't test my hypothesis...

• Joel N9LQ
    Joel N9LQ Member ✭✭

Hi Len, Interesting suggestion. I gave it a try and here's what happened. Set Slice A rx and tx both on ANT 1. Set Slice B both rx and tx on ANT2. Activate diversity for Slice A. It opens as D with rx on ANT2 and tx on ANT1. I change the diversity rx to RXA, and the rx for Slice B changes to RXA as well. So that doesn't fix the issue for me. I'm not sure what that tells us, but it was worth a shot. 73, Joel

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

There are only two SCUs in the radio. You can only have two receive antennas active at a time. RX A and ANT 1 or ANT 1 and ANT 2, but not all three.

Also upgrade your AG to 3.1.5. It is on 4O3A.com. Many improvements over 3.0.6.

Dave wo2x

• Joel N9LQ
    Joel N9LQ Member ✭✭

Thanks for the explanation Dave. That makes sense to me now.

Regarding the AG, do you know if 3.1.5 is compatible with SmartSDR 2.8.1? I tried to upgrade it before and it didn't work for me. But that may have been several versions of SmartSDR ago, 2.5.1 maybe.

73, Joel N9LQ

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Yes, AG 3.1.5 and SSDR 2.8.1 are compatible. Feel free to reach out to me at my call at ARRL dot net if you have any issues.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.