Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Antenna genius 8X2 and MFJ-993 remoter antenna tuner

Options

I see this note in the MFJ-993BRT

"Note: The MFJ-993BRT is not designed to be placed AFTER remote antenna switches. Some antennas and antenna switches have DC continuity between the center pin and shield which will short out the power supply when switched to those positions"

Is this the case with the Antenna Genius?

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

No, but why would you place the tuner after? Typical chain would be radio-> amp -> wattmeter -> tuner -> antenna switch. That way the tuner is available for all antennas.

Dave wo2x

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options

I know...that is the normal flow.....and that is how I am set up....the antenna switch is in the shack...

6700-pgxl-tgxl-8x2-antennas.....

the new antenna must have a remote antenna tuner at the base of the antenna...thus the mfj993brt (the tgxl is not used with this particular antenna)....

so based on the mjf993brt manual.....I would have to install a bypass manual antenna switch before the 8x2 that bypasses the 8x2 which connects to mfj993brt....

so, when I want to specifically use the antenna connected to the remote tuner I would have to manually select it....since the 8x2 can damage it.....if the 8x2 is designed as the mfj note on remote antenna switches is applicable...

thus that explains my question....

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

There is no DC power on the coax with the Antenna Genius. The remote control is accomplished with applying 12 volts and an Ethernet cable to the AG 2x8.

Port to port isolation on HF is 80 dB or better.

Dave wo2x

• WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Dave....appreciate the help......

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

You’re welcome.

73 Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.