Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smart Cat

w9kjo
w9kjo Member ✭✭

I cannot seem to find anything like a SmartSDR CAT Software User's Guide on the website. The Smart SDR User's Manual states,

"Please refer to the SmartSDR CAT Software User’s Guide for detained instructions for installing SmartSDR CAT." I'm pretty sure detained is supposed to be Detailed.

However I cannot find a Smart CAT software download, a User's Guide download or anything else on the Flex Radio website.

I have a Smart CAT Icon on my desktop but when I click it nothing opens. So I cannot seem to set anything up in it nor varify that it is even working.

I have been trying to figure out how to set up Fldigi for weeks with this Flex 6400 reading and re-reading the user manual multiple time and no success. It seems the User's Manual I downloaded is not very accurate for there are things the manual states that do nto appear to be correct.

All this being said I am very new to Flex.

I cannot find a Smart CAT in my app list, I thought I would try uninstalling it and re-installing it but I find none of that.

I need help getting this working properly.

73 Thanks Walter

Comments

• w9kjo
    w9kjo Member ✭✭

Excellent Thanks You.

• w9kjo
    w9kjo Member ✭✭

So looking at this Smart CAT User Guide.

I cannot get Smart Cat to open a dialogue box at all. So I cannot look at its setting.

I think it should be opening when Smart SDR opens for operation however I cannot get CAT 4, Which appears to be flex associated in my Device Manager, to actually send frequency data to Fldigi. So I am not sure that it is actually working.

That the SmartCAT dialogue will not open and show on my system causes me to question its operation.

I am not sure what to do at this point. I have spent many frustrating hours trying to figure this out.

Some help from the Flex Folks would be great.

Thanks Walter W9KJO

• w9kjo
    w9kjo Member ✭✭

Another important part of a working Smart CAT with Fldigi is Fldigi will receive but will not key the rig or send.

Thanks for any help.

73 Walter W9KJO

• w9kjo
    w9kjo Member ✭✭

no help available apparently

• Rich M5RIC
    Rich M5RIC Member ✭✭✭

Open a support ticket with flex, they will be be able to help and digsnose the problem.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I am guessing Win 10 or 11 as you did not mention OS.

SmartSDR CAT should have an icon on your desktop when you installed SmartSDR, unless you unchecked CAT and DAX during installation.

Double click the icon on your desktop for CAT to open it. It should show two CAT ports as a default. A COM port and TCP 5002. The COM port is typically COM 4 but can be different on your PC, depending on your port enumeration in Windows.

Both as a default are set to CAT ports and slice A receiver.

In FLDigi you should be able to select the COM port number in CAT and set it ton9600 baud 8,n,1 parity. I am not familiar with FLDigi having never used it. If there is an option to use CAT for PTT then select that. If not, you will need to add a CAT port in SmartSDR CAT as a PTT with RTS selected. Shut down and restart FLDigi and then for PTT select that new COM port and RTS.

Don’t forget to start DAX if it isn’t already and set your audio settings in FLDigi for receive to DAX RX1 and transmit to DAX TX. In SmartSDR on the slice flag click DAX and select DAX RX1. On the right side panel click the DAX button so it is blue.

Watch your level meter while adjusting the DAX TX slider in DAX control panel and sending from FLDigi. You do not want the peak indicator going above zero (and turning red).

If you still have problems, open a Help Desk ticket.

Dave wo2x

• w9kjo
    w9kjo Member ✭✭

"Double click the icon on your desktop for CAT to open it. It should show two CAT ports as a default. A COM port and TCP 5002. The COM port is typically COM 4 but can be different on your PC, depending on your port enumeration in Windows."

When I double Click on the CAT Icon no window opens. The Com 4 Flex port is in my device manager but it does not appear to actually function.

I need to figure out how to do a Help Desk Ticket.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.