Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Visible strenght own audio in waterfall

When looking on my own audio signal in the waterfall it looks different when comparing 80m vs 20m. On 80m its so dark and seems like i'm not filling the set TX bandwidth. But in the band scope it looks ok. Also the sent signal seems to be OK according to reports.

On 20m it looks like as expected. I use same settings on Comp, mic gain and TX eq.

Tagged:

Comments

• LA4XLA
    LA4XLA Member ✭✭
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭

If your asking about the width of the TX signal--- Do you have the same TX filter settings of both bands ( They may be different for LSB vs USB and are not the same as the RX bandwidth settings. ) TX filter is not displayed in the PA.

If you asking about the intensity to WF during tansmit, you need to know that the PA/WF display during transmit is the result of fortuitus coupling between the TX signal and the RX ADC. The coupling is less at lower bands. Less signal is coupled on 80m vs 20m.

AL, K0VM

• LA4XLA
    LA4XLA Member ✭✭

Thanks for reply and asking for clarification. Not the width, but the intensity in the visual representation of the sent audio/signal

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭

Viewing your transmit signal on your transmitting slice is not truly represent your real transmit signal. If you can view it on a different RX and different antenna/dummy load/small coil of wire it will be more representative.

Also you don't show the dbm scale as specs define valid suppression levels. Your other sideband is 5 graduations down but how many dbm per graduation?

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

A little off topic, but the TX bandwidth upper cutoff is 2950, a good choice for most ssb work. However the TX eq is showing significant boost at 4K and 8k. These two settings conflict. The tx eq boost is being eliminated by the tx bandwidth filter. Not sure of the impact of this in the flex, but in the analog world, this results in distortion products in the transmitted signal.

• LA4XLA
    LA4XLA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2022

Stan VA7NF: Tnx. I understand its not a true representation, but the difference was so big. Attached 3 new screenshots. I boosted gain in display, but barely visible in waterfall. I tried lowering MIC gain to 85, and also without comp, but then its all black on the high tones. Its only in waterfall, real sent signal looks ok on band scope and on air.

Tnx John KB4DU for pointing out the cut off. I use to have on 3200 when doing boost on 4/8K.

• Martin_G4ENZ
    Martin_G4ENZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2022

Your output power setting will have an effect on the brightness of the waterfall. In the example below I make three identical test transmissions at different power levels. 100W - 10W - 100W

73 Martin

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭

That is to be expected,.. The color in the waterfall is dependent on the strength of the signal..

100W should be stronger than than 10W

AL, K0VM

• Martin_G4ENZ
    Martin_G4ENZ Member ✭✭

Hi Al,

Yes, that was my point. In the screenshots we can see that he has the TX power reduced leading to a dimmer waterfall.

73 Martin

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.