Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex6000 series microphone electrical options, including FHM-3

Options

I'm working on some audio interface hardware to work with Flex radios (and others.) I'm seeing two very different signal levels coming out of two microphones that I expect to be very similar:

* FHM-3, stock hand-held mic that came with my Flex6400.

* A "PC Gaming Headset." Mic+ and Ground on the headset, wired directly to Mic+, and both Mic- and Ground on the Flex mic port.

They're both electret microphone elements, both require the "DC Bias" turned on. But the FHM-3 requires the "+20dB Boost" and still has the Mic Gain set to around 60% to sound right.

The HEADSET, with +20dB Boost enabled, I have to turn the Mic Gain all the way down to 0, and it's still compressing a fair bit. The output from the FHM-3 is A LOT lower than the output from the straight electret mic element in the headset.

Looking inside the FHM-3, there is a resistor divider (and some filter caps, but I don't think they're impacting this) that's cutting the DC bias voltage across the Electret element down to .7vDC, which is AWFULLY low. That'll lower the gain a lot. Between the lower DC bias actually across the mic element, and the voltage divider itself, that would explain why the FHM-3 has such a low output.

It's acting like the FHM-3 is trying to have the output of a dynamic mic, but still requires the DC bias voltage of an electret mic.

WHY is this? Does anyone know?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.