Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New CW operator question

Options

I have a Flex 6400 and I am just starting my CW explorations. I have been reading the forums and I have drawn some conclusions I would like to run past the more experienced operators.

For learning and rag-chewing with CW, using the built-in keyer and CWX should be fine. If I need easy macro buttons, I can use CWX. If I get serious about contesting with CW, I can look at using an external keyer. Am I reading things correctly? Remember that for now, I am a slow speed operator.

Thank you for the time and comments,

Brent, VA7BNB

Tagged:

Best Answer

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Brent, An external keyer does not bring much advantage over the internal keyer. Most contesters use a logging program that has CW macro capability like N1MM or N3JFP's AClog.

As you gain experience and start participating in contests, you will see where your preferences lie. These preferences will take you to the solution that is optimal for you. If you constantly wish that you had external buttons to push for messages, then an external keyer might be the right thing for you.

On the other hand, if automatically sending the other station's call sign is important, then a logger with that capability will be the way to go.

Answers

• VA7BNB_Brent
    VA7BNB_Brent Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Len

You have confirmed my readings. I was getting too deep, too fast.

Brent, VA7BNB

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome to Flex Brent, from a long time BC CW contester and 6700 owner.

As Len said, pick up a copy of N1MM+ for both contesting and for just setting the message buttons.

No need for an external keyer, stick with the one built in. My personal choice is to use a single paddle key rather than iambic key as you will find it creates less "surplus" Morse elements and is more comfortable once you reach 25WPM+ which is the norm for most contests.

• VA7BNB_Brent
    VA7BNB_Brent Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Stan.

I am using a Vibroplex single lever paddle. I found after my **** I got too many "surplus" dits and dahs.

...Brent... VA7BN

• VA7BNB_Brent
    VA7BNB_Brent Member ✭✭
    Options

Oops. The **** should be ****. Dunno what happened.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Brent, the bad word filter on this forum is a bit overboard... For example, a helical fastening device (i.e. a ****) will be flagged.

Most of us put dots between the letters of words that get unnecessarily censored. In my example above, the word is s.c.r.e.w.

Once you post, you have an hour to edit it. If you see the dreaded asterisks, you can go back in and choose a different word or use the dot trick.

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options

Another mention, due to much latency in the windows audio stack, and especially for quick turn-around contesting, plug your headphones, key, (even a mic for those rare voice contacts) directly into the flex. That bypasses the latency and you will likely respond to calls 1/2 second faster.

Also you will hear the N1MM originated CW plus your own keying

• VA7BNB_Brent
    VA7BNB_Brent Member ✭✭
    Options

A big Thank you to Len and Stan for your answers and guidance.

Stan, the word that got **** out was s.t.r.o.k.e.. I have always plugged the Vibroplex, powered speakers and headphones directly to the 6400. I was aware of the latency, but to my mind, plugging directly into the Flex was the best way to go.

...Brent... VA7BNB

• VA7BNB_Brent
    VA7BNB_Brent Member ✭✭
    Options

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.