Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

audio clicks, dropouts when using mac smartsdr, wsjt-x, fldigi.. on older mac

howdy..

older 2014 25” intel imac with smartsdr, flex 6600, rogue amoeba. when transmitting if i click another window the transmit audio will click or briefly dropout. i do have node red running on a pi-4 watching a kpa-500, swr, antenna switch, and such.

big sur 11.7.1. smartsdr and wsjt-x are current.

time to upgrade the mac hardware, or any ideas on where i can look to solve this?

thanks!

ken, ns7v

Best Answer

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Ken - I mispoke earlier, was not near the Mac. I have 64 Gbytes (that really is GBytes, not Mbytes) of memory in my MacMini. The CPU is a 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 (2018).

Memory in the machine makes a huge difference if you run multiple apps. I can run JS8Call plus xDax / xCat and Loopback, plus EITHER SSDR Mac for WSJT-X, or Parallels with SSDR Win plus VarAC or WinLink with absolutely no dropouts or stuttering audio. I rarely run phone, so don't know how SSB tx would work, but when I listen to phone, the audio is smooth.

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

If Node Red is send TCP commands to radio, you will hear a click or pop. With the FlexRadio flow version 16_4 I send the TCP commands when the flow starts and then if clicking a button to send a command.

The other cause can be the MACBook is underpowered to handle running all the programs that you are running. WSJT-X will spike CPU usage at end of each cycle as it decodes. Try looking at performance metrics on the MAC to see what is going on.

I’m relatively new to MAC and haven’t got everything set up on the M1 CPU Mini yet.

• kenb
    kenb Member ✭✭

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. Disabling Node Red does not improve the problem. Adding an audio monitor to the Loopback pass-thru device, I don't hear any dropouts or clicks. Monitoring on a K3 at the same time--the clicks are there.

Using the built in FT8 client in the SmartSDR program--it all works fine with no clicking or dropouts. Might have to use that, though I'd rather use WSJT-X or similar.

When cpu use is low, the problem persists with WSJT-X and even tried JTDX...

I appreciate the suggestions!

Ken ns7v

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022

Ken, you don’t specify how much memory you have in the iMac. In general, the more recent the OS, the more memory it needs. I’m still running MacOS 10.15, and refuse to go to Big Sur for various reasons. I have a 2018 MacMini with 32 Gb of memory, and never have dropout problems. Memory is important to prevent swapping in and out to/from disk.

Dave’s advice to look at performance is a good idea - look at CPU, memory and disk.

• kenb
    kenb Member ✭✭

Hi Ted,

Thanks! 32 meg and low CPU use. I have to admit that this particular macnine is 2014... i have later macs used for other things, and i may have to pull one over to the shack and try one.

Good to know that this will work given the right setup. I'll keep plugging.

73!

ken ns7v

• kenb
    kenb Member ✭✭

i appreciate the comments, ted. our systems are similar—parallels, winlink, wsjtx, etc.. mine is just a lot older. i’ll upgrade the hardware and report back.

also, thanks dave. nice to get good help here!

ken ns7v

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

You will find there are very good people willing to help on the Community.

Dave wo2x