Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can't connect 6400 to N4PY Pegasus Plus

Phil N3ZP
Phil N3ZP Member ✭✭

I have a 6400 running SmartSDR 3.3.32.8203 with a Dell Desktop running Windows 10. I'm connected to a wired network and my PC with a network switch. I am trying to use N4PY Pegasus Plus in order to connect to a MiDi controller and use the TenTec interface with N3FJP ACLog. I can connect if the PC is connected to the network via WiFI but that gives me a very slow Internet connection. Pegasus Plus has the option of using a direct IP address. That works but I keep getting the "Client Connected" popup which cases a short noise burst in my headphones every few second and is very annoying.

I contacted Carl, N4PY, and sent him my config file. He tried my settings with his 6600 and had no problem. He suggested connecting the PC directly to the router but that's not feasible as it is 2 floors up. SmartSDR and the PC both have IP addresses beginning with 10 and there is no network bridging. I am using DHCP.

He suggested reaching out to FLEX for their expertise in networking. I am looking for suggestions of other things to try.

Thanks,

Phil N3ZP

Best Answer

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Just to wrap this up, The big culprit was Windoze Firewall blocking communications between AC Log and Flex and also Pegasus Plus and Flex. We set up both AC Log and Pegasus Plus to talk directly to the Flex via the Flex API.

Also got his FTdx10 working as a second rig in AC Log.

Dave wo2x

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Hi Phil

How is your radio connected to the router? Do you have the LAN cable connected directly to the PC?

I'm confused as you mention WiFi and a Network Switch.

Can you draw a diagram at all? Even if you have to do it on paper and take a picture.

Mike

(moving to the Peripherals and Station Integration area)

• Phil N3ZP
    Phil N3ZP Member ✭✭

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. The radio is connected to a 4-port Ethernet switch and so is the PC. The switch connects to CAT5 cable to the Comcast Modem/Router for Internet access. I took a scan of my diagram. Let me know what you think,

Phil

N3ZP

• David Decoons, wo2x

You mention TenTec. Not sure about Carl’s program, haven’t used it but TenTec selection uses Yaesu CAT protocol. Flex uses Kenwood protocol. Could that be it?

AC Log under rig interface should be set to Flex API.

Pegasus Plus should connect to the radio, and not AC Log.

Phil, if you like, contact me direct through my QRZ email and I’l take a look remotely if you like.

73 Dave wo2x

• Phil N3ZP
    Phil N3ZP Member ✭✭

Hi Dave,

Pegasus Plus has an "OUT" file for the TenTec file interface that holds the mode and frequency. ACLog is setup for Pegasus and reads the file. The 6400 is not connected to ACLog. One reason I use this is that I also have a Yaesu FTDX-10. I use another installation of Pegasus with the Yaesu so I don't have to change anything in ACLog, The Pegasus Plus software is set for FLEX 6000. It doesn't use a Comport. The way Carl explained it is that the FLEX broadcasts it's IP address and that is read by Pegasus Plus. There is an option to set a direct IP address in Pegasus Plus. That works but I keep getting popups as if it's constantly reconnecting. It also makes noise every time that I hear in my headphones.

I have a contractor here right now but I'll email you later about connecting remotely.

Thanks,

Phil N3ZP

• David Decoons, wo2x

I’ll reply to your email in a few with my phone number.

Just for those following the thread, AC Log has capability to have 4 different radio connections, allowing CTRL-X to switch between them. That would reduce complexity and allow AC Log DX cluster to send commands direct to either radio. Going through Pegasus Plus, not sure if that adds unnecessary delays. Again, never used it, but the more items that can communicate direct to the radio, the better as each is not dependent on another.

Dave wo2x

• Phil N3ZP
    Phil N3ZP Member ✭✭

Thanks for the help. What great service!

Phil N3ZP

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Nicely done, Dave! The Flex API is a real game changer when it comes to peripheral applications.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.