Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Learning About Flexradio

Options
timbrusky
timbrusky Member, Unconfirmed
Im just came across flex radio, and want to know more about it, Nothing to fancy, a radio, a auto tuner and a amplifier, just a basic setup, never really had much more than that ever. What radio do you decided. I like to talk on HF and also UHF/VHF as well. Do i need some kind of tv to see the screen? Not even sure where to start or to begin. The radio must have 100 watts, and hopefully at least 50 watts on UHF/VHF.

Answers

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    Options

FlexRadio is what I would think the fanciest of anything out there. FlexRadio does not offer a product with HF and UHF/VHF, the closest is the 6700 it has HF and VHF, then add a UHF transverter. The 6400 and 6600 are HF only but you can add VHF/UHF transverters.

FlexRadio has a fantastic amplifier, the PowerGeniusXL (PGXL) and all HF radios have 100 watts and have auto-tuners built-in except the 6400 it's an option.

The FlexRadio connects to a computer via standard ethernet cable to a windows base computer that has SmartSDR software, or there is a version that runs on Apple products including iPhone, iPad. The computer or Apple screen is the display. Two products 6400M and 6600M do have an HHDMI connector on the back of the radio that connects directly to a TV or monitor.

If you want a radio with knobs and a front panel screen, then go with 6400M, or 6600M. Which radio to get depends really on your operating. If you do not need to work two bands with two different antennas then that really narrows it down to either the 6400 or the 6400M.

That briefly covers what you were asking.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Tim, you might want to go to YouTube and look up Flexradio. You will find a lot of videos showing them in operation. This should give you an idea of how they work, what their capabilities are and more importantly, if they are for you.

My Flex 6400 only has one control - a power button. Everything else is controlled by a computer running Flex-supplied software called SmartSDR. This provides all the controls normally found on a traditional radio. It also gives you a panadapter and waterfall display so that you can visually see the signals.

If you belong to a ham radio club, you might find a fellow club member with a Flex that they are willing to show you. I have done this for a few club members here.

Best of luck in your search!