Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 10 Updated today - Lost all functionality

Options
Mike Sonn KF9AF
Mike Sonn KF9AF Member ✭✭
edited September 2022 in SmartSDR for Windows

I just had a Windows 10 update that required a restart. Everything has been working fine for hours, including my update to 3.3.32, prior to the Windows update.

When I received the Update/Reboot notification on my PC, I closed all programs and powered off my Flex 6500 as I normally would. Upon reboot, when I start SmartSDR, the receive window is as shown. There is no audio as there is no slice.

This is what the screen looks like after I clicked one of the greyed out filter buttons:

Tried a reboot of the PC with no change.

Help?

Mike

KF9AF

Update - Used Windows Recovery to uninstall updates. No change. Uninstalled SmartSDR 3.3.32 and reinstalled - No change.

Comments

• RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options

Did you have SmartSDR open during the Windows update?

You may try to reset the 6500…

• Mike Sonn KF9AF
    edited September 2022
    Options

This is an Unhandled Error Window that pops up when I click on a greyed out filter button on the right.

• Mike Sonn KF9AF
    Options

RFord - I did not have SmartSDR open when I performed the WIndows Upgrade/Restart. I just tried the factory reset on the 6500, no change...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mike KF9AF

• wp4oxg
    wp4oxg Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi.

I would try a full driver uninstallation before (rebooting), updating and retry installing SmartSDR again. The following article in Flex explains how to uninstall everything (including the drivers that are not normally uninstalled when deleting SmartSDR):

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204975589-How-to-do-a-Complete-uninstall-of-SmartSDR-for-Windows-from-your-PC

As a fact the article starts with this phrase: "Windows 10 updates have a history of corrupting kernel mode drivers". Maybe this can help.

Regards,

wp4oxg

• wp4oxg
    wp4oxg Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi.

I posted before a response and it seems my post got deleted. I was recommending you to clean uninstall everything following this article:

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204975589-How-to-do-a-Complete-uninstall-of-SmartSDR-for-Windows-from-your-PC

Which references at the beginning "Windows 10 updates have a history of corrupting kernel mode drivers". This may help.

Regards,

wp4oxg

• Mike Sonn KF9AF
    Options

WP4OXG - Followed every step in the link. No change. Thanks for the suggestion. I've submitted a Help Ticket. Can't help be think this is something simple. I'll report that result of the Ticket.

• AA0Z
    AA0Z Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the same issue. No VFO. I reloaded 3.3.32, same issues. I'm even having issues connecting to Smartlink.

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Im having the same problem today, worked fine yesterday. Windows 10 hasnt updated since 15/9, so guessing its not a windows update that caused it. Maestro is showing the same thing, as is Smartsdr ios. Have reset radio twice, but no luck. Help desk ticket submitted

• Karl KB2AS
    Karl KB2AS Member ✭✭
    Options

I reloaded 3.3.32 and that did not resolve the issue. Submitted a helpdesk ticket but have not yet had a response.

While waiting, I downgraded to 3.3.29, power cycled, and updated back to 3.3.32 and all is well again.

I noticed I had a .Net update sometime between turning the radio off yesterday and turning it back on this morning, not sure this is relevant.

Karl - KB2AS

• Mike Sonn KF9AF
    edited September 2022
    Options

Well, I'm sorry and selfishly glad I'm not the only one. As a test, I loaded SmartSDR onto a laptop that did not have any Smart software on it before and had the same result. I tried downgrading to the previous version of SSDR with the same result. Tried Upgrading back to 3.3.32 and now display on 6500 show "Timeout" and the power led is flashing red in a series of 3 flashes.

I have a from my Help Desk Ticket and am trying those suggestions. Tim said, "We are aware of this problem and we are currently investigating the reason why this is happening."

Thanks all for sharing your issues and we just need to see what Flex comes up with.

Mike KF9AF

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    Options

There is an interesting note on the Microsoft site about the update (KB5017380) in the "Known Issues". It states some audio devices fail after this update. There is a KIR (known issue rollback) available but looks complicated due to having to mess with Group Policy. Another can-O-worms.

Good Luck....

k3Tim / 7

• KT4XN
    KT4XN Member ✭✭
    Options

Had the same issue on startup this morning. Downgraded to 3.2.29 and almost all works

• Paul Ewing
    Paul Ewing Member ✭✭
    Options
    I woke up today to the same issue. I will be following to see what the fix is. My 6500/6600 are dead in the water. Paul N6PSE
  • Paul Ewing
    Paul Ewing Member ✭✭
    Options
    I was affected by the Windows update, I downgraded Smart SDR to 3.2.39 and I am working again.
  • RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I had a Windows update this morning...running Windows 11. I thought I might be ok...but that was not the case. I was able to do a clean install of v3.3.32 and I'm back on the air...

• Mike Sonn KF9AF
    Options

Problem solved for me. My SD Card was corrupted. Replacement sent from Flex and everything is back to normal.

Mike KF9AF

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.