Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Replacement for Omnirig? Is that even the problem?

Duane_AC5AA
Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭

I have used my 6600 with a Maestro now for several years using Omnirig, CAT and DAX and the following software:

Logging - Log4OM

Digital modes - WSJT-X & JTAlert, MMTTY

Contesting - N1MM+

Suddenly, a couple months ago, connectivity to the rig from the PC was lost. Initially I thought it was related to a network change I had made in the house, but I’ve moved away from that when the problem persisted after I returned to the,orig network config.

One symptom that bothers me is that when I ping the IP addresses the Maestro reports for the 6600 and the Maestro from the PC is the 6600 pings successfully but the Maestro’s IP never responds. Thats a head scratcher. Turning off Norton Security has no effect.

Regardless of the software I run with the rig, none can talk to the rig’s CAT controls. I’d like to try something that would replace the function of Omnirig to see if perhaps that helps. I’d you can provide a suggestion, I’d sure appreciate it. Nothing about this problem makes sense to me.

73, Duane AC5AA

Answers

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Hi Duane... I am running the similar config on my 6500. I've found tho, that you have to use the 'old' version of OmniRig (v1.2.0). The newer 2.x version will not work with Log4OM.

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭

Thanks, Don - I’ll try that tomorrow.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

No worries.. If you need any assistance with config, etc. let me know!

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭

1.2 is what I’ve been using - it is the currently downloadable one. I’ll spend more time on it this afternoon.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

There is a 2.1 version available from a ham in Switzerland. That's the one that won't work with Log4OM.

I got my 1.2 version from here... DX Atlas: Amateur Radio software

BTW, with this older version, I've found that once you start it up, you must just leave it running -- don't hit the OK button at the bottom as this will shut it down.

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭

1.2 is what I have been running. I found a statement on the Log4OM forum saying all needed to be run in administrator mode, but that didn’t help either. This is a real puzzler.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Nope.. I don't run mine in admin mode, but the computer is a 'single user' one, so I guess my account is an 'administrator' by default.

Here's a screen shot of my OmniRig settings:

... and here's what my SmartCAT screen looks like...

In v2.23.0.0 of Log4OM, under Settings/Hardware/CAT Engine, Cat Engine should be set to OmniRig and the Cat AutoStart should be selected.

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭

Thanks, Don - Those are my settings. Here is a snapshot of them:

I believe these are the same settings that have worked for the last couple of years - I've done nothing to change any of them (that I'm aware of). Maybe you can spot something. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭

Just noticed you have RTS=High while I have it Low - changed it's value - no improvement.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Only difference I see for now (it's late at night :-)) is that I'm running 38400 and you're running 56000 for baud rate. Maybe try that???

otherwise, things look pretty similar. And your SmartCAT is showing it 'sees' the Omnirig. Hmmmm

In Log40M, what does the Omnirig tab look like under CAT interface?

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭

Again, no improvement. It looks like it is a problem with Omnirig since WSJT-X also fails similarly. Just to give something a try, I uninstalled Omnirig and then reinstalled. Again, no help. Argh. I believe if I go Slicemaster it won’t help running Log4OM, and HamLib appears to have its limitations too.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Hmmmm... I'm running out of ideas.

Are you able to run SmartSDR on the PC and see if Log4OM connects with OmniRig and the Flex?

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭

Yes, makes no difference whether I run the Maestro or SmartSDR on the PC. Both run the radio fine but neither connects to Log4OM or to WSJT-X - that’s part of what is making me think it’s an Omnirig problem since it’s a common point. N1MM+ also fails to connect, but I haven’t looked at it yet since I’m trying to just get something to connect successfully. Thanks for hanging in there with me on this, Don.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.