Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Recommendations on headset/boom mic for use with SSDR for Mac

Options
I'd appreciate any thoughts on headset/boom mic products for use with SmartSDR for Mac operating remotely. I have RadioSport headsets for use with Maestro and K3/0-Mini which work well, but presumably they won't work with a Griffin iMIC2 A-D converter that doesn't provide the bias voltage for the Electret Mic (M350-ADJ).

I also have the RadioSport RS50SL light weight mic. I'm not sure what the Mic is but it won't function through an iMIC2.

I'm using a 14" MacBook Pro with M1 Ultra Chip along with a OWC hub that provides USB-2 and USB-3 ports along with USB-C/Display ports.

Thoughts/comments welcome.

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
(Currently in Roslindale, MA)

Answers

• Jean_Luc F5JRC
    Options

Hi Barry, I am using this model connected directly to my Flex6500 and I am very pleased with it:

And I also using the USB version of it (bought by my son), but not always convinced by the usb connection (some "scratched during the PTT, but not due to headset itself which it exactly the same).

73, John/F5JRC

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I use the Mac AirPod Max Headphones.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Barry, WD4ASW
    Options
    Alan: Interesting suggestion. It got me to try using my AirPods Pro and the appear to be a potential solution. However, their battery life isn't great (couple of hours) so a "powered" solution might be more practical. I looked at the Apple website at their AirPod Max headphones. Can you keep them plugged in via USB for power? If so, is there the option to feed audio through the power connector rather than use bluetooth?

Thanks,
    Barry, WD4ASW
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Barry

My Air Pod Pro Headphones are plugged into an ordinary apple iPhone charging cube. They are plugged in whenever I am at the desk.

To confirm, I am using the headphones, air pod max, not the earplugs, air pods.

Alan

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

oh...audio....no option for hard wire.....why ask.....apple designed the headphones to be wireless and connections are always automatic to any of your apple devices.

Alan

• KP4IP
    KP4IP Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options

I use the RadioSport RS55SL with my MacBook Pro M1 (directly to the 3.5mm), iPhone 13 Pro Max (with lightning to 3.5 mm) and in a iPad M1 Pro with a USB-C to 3.5mm. 

I took me multiple tries before got it working but works very good with SmartSDR for mac / iOS.