Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Best VPN server solution?

Options

I am looking for suggestions for best VPN server that will allow me full access to my home LAN when remote, particularly including access to my 6600 from Windows, Mac, and iOS SmartSDR clients remote.

My hardware options include:

• Dedicated Raspberry Pi 4B 2GB (Softether?)
  • Intel NUC i5 running Proxmox Hypervisor (will also be running Node Red in a Home Assistant VM or possibly a Docker container for station controls; perhaps Softether or WireGuard in a VM?)
  • Synology NAS server (perhaps using the Synology VPN Server add on?)

I assume this will need to support some sort of bridging architecture, and that OpenVPN is difficult to set up to do that and forward the UDP packets?

My ISP is Mediacom.

Looking for thoughts on the best/easiest way to do this that will support all the listed remote clients.

Steve AK0M

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Steve, I use SoftEther to connect my homebrew TeensyMaestro to my Flex 6400 when I operate remotely. I have an old laptop (local to the radio) loaded with SoftEther server. My remote laptop is also loaded with SoftEther server. I bridge the connection so that my TeensyMaestro plugs into the remote laptop and sees the radio just as if it was plugged in at home.

I connect SmartSDR to the radio using SmartLink to get the better data compression that it offers over a VPN.

To control my amp, tuner and rotator which are all serial-connected to the laptop, I use TeamViewer.

With this approach, I can run my logger (AClog) locally or remotely.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.