Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Non-Remote Audio Stopped Working Once I Went Remote

Options

My Flex 6400 and SmartSDR are working remote very reliably and with good reports. However, I was back at the station site today and now for some reason the hand mic, which is plugged into the 6400, will not drive the audio since I started operating the station remotely.

I set up and registered the 6400 with SmartSDR as recommended and then connected with the radio with the PC that is on site with the station, i.e. non-remotely via the common LAN switch. I tested the station and made several QSO’s with the handheld mic.

Then I went across the street and connected remotely with my station with my laptop and have been operating the station remotely from the laptop for over a week now and from the cabin as well as from my home 114 miles south of the station. Works awesome.

Today I was back on site and tried to operate the station from the onsite PC, the mic keys the radio but for some reason it won’t recognize the audio input of the hand mic. TX comes on but no input audio.

Any tips or solutions would be appreciated.

Best,

John

NG0Z

Best Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi John, when on-site, did you change the mic source from PC to MIC?

• KD0RC
    Answer ✓
    Options

One copy of SmartSDR doesn't change another copy. It is that one station (let's say the remote one) changes the radio to use the PC for audio input. Now when you go on-site, the radio is set for PC input, and talking into the mic has no effect.

For this very reason, I set up a mic profile called "Len Laptop" that sets the mic to PC and adjusts the mic gain and TX EQ for the internal mic on the computer. As it so happens, this also works great for my headset mic when plugged into the laptop.

When I go remote and get no audio, I know that I forgot to change the mic profile. When I get home it is the same thing...

Now I just need to find a campsite with enough cell service to allow me to operate remotely!

• KD0RC
    Answer ✓
    Options

You are very welcome!

Answers

• NG0Z
    NG0Z Member ✭✭
    Options

I did not notice that and of course now I am back in the city making QSO's remotely. Is this required once you go remote? That is to say, did my accessing another copy of SmartSDR remotely change the settings in SmartSDR onsite?

In the meantime, I can access my desktop remotely to see if that setting changed. Thank you.

• NG0Z
    NG0Z Member ✭✭
    Options

So, I created a mic profile "Laptop Remote"

When I created it, did it save all my current settings?

• KD0RC
    Options

Well, it saved all your current mic settings. Change the profile back to whatever you were using and watch the mic source, mic gain, PROC, MON, VOX, TX EQ and others change if they were set differently from Laptop Remote. Flip back and forth while watching the sliders on the P/CW, PHNE and TX EQ panels.

Next time that you go to your remote site, you will have the same mic profiles available and can flip to the one that you use for a directly connected mic.

• NG0Z
    NG0Z Member ✭✭
    Options

Awesome. Thank you for all the help!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.