Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can I use the Flex 6600 with a Palstar HF Auto ATU?

Options
Roger G3LDI
Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭

Hi.

I have both of these with the remote control for the ATU, but I seem to remember that it is possible to use the Flex to control the ATU without using the remote for the ATU. Is htis possible and if so how does that work please?

73 de Roger, G3LDI

Best Answers

• AA1SS
    AA1SS Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I believe the HF Auto is frequency sensing so all you have to do is set tune power low and just key it up in tune mode and the tuner will tune.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

As an option, for constant control, you can supply CAT to the HF-Auto so that it is pre-tuned before transmitting. The W1TR software is needed on a PC. CAT data comes from a choice of sources - I use FRStack since I have that anyway. There are some advantages apart from the speed of being tuned, such as having settings to cover known changes in SWR when the antenna is wet. However, this is far from necessary and Steve's method is just as good in practice.

Answers

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Steve.

Many thanks for the reply. That sounds great, meaning I can dispose of the remote unit now and one thing less to worry about. That will make life a lot easier!

73 de Roger, G3LDI

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Erik.

I have seen the W1TR software but not used it as yet. I shall investigate further, so thanks for that.

73 de Roger, G3LDI

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I operated a 6600M and an HF-Auto using the W1TR software for 4 years prior to getting a TGXL tuner. You have to use two of his programs to make it work. One works basically like the remote control head for the tuner albeit with several additional features and the other obtains the operating frequency from the radio and passes it to the tuner control program. The program which obtains the operating frequency is designed for the Kenwood TS-2000 but works with Flex radios as well since they can also use the Kenwood commands. As I remember, getting the software installed and working correctly is a bit of a challenge. But, the W1TR site has all the info you will need if you elect to go that way.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Roger, Rick is 100% right on with his comments and the software makes the HFAuto work and follows the Radio pretty well BUT as Rick said it is a chore getting the config file correct just don't give up it is worth it.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

You do not need two of W1TR's programs - only the HF Auto software - so long as you pick one of the options for CAT data of which there are several to choose from including FLDIGI, N1MM, DXLAB, FRStack, etc. If you already run one of those you are good to go. Terry has now provided a pop-up basic configuration set, optionally selectable, to alleviate the minefield that once was the configuration file. I already had FRStack for CAT to the HF-Auto software and had the program controlling the ATU quite quickly. All said and done though, having run HF-Auto for about 4 weeks, I don't think it is really essential. Perhaps I think that because I have a fairly simple configuration.

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi.

Thanks to all who gave advice as above. I think I should be able to go ahead now and get it working without the remote unit.

I am still using 2,4,10 because of the CW drop out which is still there even in version 3, but I am still hoping that Flex will fix this problem before I get too much older! However, I see I can use an older version of FRstack so will get that going first.

Many thanks again.

73 de Roger, G3LDI

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.