Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexVSP port assignment in CAT again?

Options

I thought I had been through all the Windows and VSP issues going but after getting something hosed in SSDR again when upgrading HRD a week ago I ended up in trouble with my setup for FT8. Being a busy week with grandkids graduations etc I was only able to poke at the problem in bit and pieces. I finally decided I would try to get SSDR working again the quick way maybe, and reinstalled 3.2.39 and get everything working without HRD logging first and then when I was happy with SSDR I would talk to HRD again (they ack that there was some issue with the new version) and life would be good. However I am hosed up with VSP's again although this time it let me start with com4 for my assignments but every time I try to make the com4 add (only option it gives me) it tells me the VSP failed to create and to double check my Serial Port settings. I have rebooted,deleted and reinstalled SSDR, run VSP repair, rebooted the PC, did a factory reset on the 6600 and am now lost and frustrated...

any hints, thoughts that might help?

Best Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hint: Google is your friend in finding things like this. To find this article (which I knew existed), I simply Googled the phrase "Flexradio VSP problems". This article was the first hit.

73, Craig KØCF

• Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    Mike W1BFA in Maine Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

just got back and read your note Craig.. I pulled it up and then saw the "right click" part.. This evening I will give it a spin. I had forgotten all about that part! thanks!

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Mike, I would submit a helpdesk ticket. Flex support knows how to deal with the ports.

• Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    Options

You're probably right Len... I usually find my way through these things after a while. Thinking back over the years the VSP's have really had me puzzled at times. thanks Mike

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Tim, W4TME, published a great article on this forum at this URL:

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/205665325-How-to-Repair-the-FlexVSP-Virtual-Serial-Port-Driver

which covers repair of the VSP very thoroughly.

73, Craig KØCF

• Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    Options

Bingo, that note from Tim was the fix. Thanks all for the interest and thanks to Tim again for putting this info out there. Mike W1BFA

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I've owned my Flex for several years and have gone through CAT issues multiple times. Following Tim's article on this subject fixes the problem every time, although I find the process a bit frustrating to repeat. From what I understand CAT issues can arise from multiple issues such as Windows updates, or not shutting down the SSDR software properly (turning off PC with SSDR still running).

• Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    Options

If there's a way to hose the VSP's up, I've found it Butch. It's not something that happens very often but when it does it always seems to be when you don't have the time to monkey around and usually just enough time between events that I have to try to remember the process to restore everything. This time it was something with the latest HRD update that locked it up and I had to restart the PC to get things moving again.

In the old days it was arcing and snapping and smoke followed by darkness, now its BSOD and fatal errors.. just different puzzles to solve. It's still a great hobby.

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thankfully these FlexVSP port assignment issues don't happen too often but when they do I've normally forgotten the fix, so I'm scrambling to find Tim's notes (again). This is particularly frustrating when this problem occurs prior to a contest.

It sure would be nice if when these port assignment problems occur that some smart programmer could develop a one button port repair fix which would run a batch file to run the necessary fix-it/reboot routine(s). Imagine the headaches this would save Flex users, as well as the time it would save the Flex Trouble Desk answering the same questions over and over. Hey Mike, is this something you could do for us Flex users?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.