Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex-5000a SWR bridge mod??

Hi,

Just got this radio back in the workshop, fixed the IEE1394 ports (new chip) a while ago and it worked well after that.

Now we have low PA output on all bands HF/6M, ~30W only.
ATU option installed and seems to work.
Selftest gives random errors at PA/BIAS, not giving sense.

My feeling is that the root couse is in the the SWR detection and I've dismounted the HPA100 board (it's rev. G btw.).
To my great concern I find black oxidation on the PA finals ground connections and a "mysterious" modification at the SWR detection circuit.

A diode is connected betw. D3 (R15 end) and GND...?

The oxidation we can deal with (is it normal?), but the mod is not documented anywhere I can find.
The rig has been working with the mod, but the soldering looks NOT like something I'd trust at all, hence not something Flex accredited..?
Does anyone know about some un/documented mods in this area?

I don't know the history of the unit, this guy bought it second hand...

Thanks in advance!

Vy 73 de OZ8AFH, Axel

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.