Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PreSonus Eris E3.5 Powered Studio Monitors

Options
W4JBB
W4JBB Member ✭✭

After receiving my Flex 6400, I quickly learned the unpowered speaker I had used with my IC-7300 wasn't going to cut it and I could not stand the latency of my internal Mac speakers. It took over a week for them to arrive but I ordered a pair of the PreSonus Eris E3.5 3.5" (sub) speakers. I must say that I am quite pleased with them.

They are a little bigger than I would have liked measuring approximately 8-1/2 x 5-1/2 x 6-1/2" H x W x D but the sound is really good.

Having an external Bluetooth adapter, I opted for the non-BT version of the speakers saving $40. I do not use the BT adapter with the Flex. In my experience, BT introduces enough latency during video playback that the sync between audio and lip movement is annoying to me. I get that it doesn't bother some people. It bothers me. However, the BT adapter is nice for listening to music or audio books.

What do I like?

1. Front jacks for aux in and head phones. The BT adapter gets plugged into aux in and my Bose headphones get plugged into the head phone jack.
  2. Balanced input using 1/4" plugs.
  3. Unbalanced input using RCA plugs.
  4. Tone control (that I don't use allowing the device output to adjust).
  5. Separate volume control on the front.
  6. Power switch on the front.

What do I not like?

1. Included RCA-to-TRS is about 6' - too short for my install. I wound up buying an aftermarket Hosa RCA-to-TRS 10' cable.
  2. I have to turn the volume up all the way and then adjust the volume on SmartSDR. Well, I don't guess I have to. I choose to do it that way. It just seems easier that way.

I am no audiophile by any stretch of the imagination but for about $100 these are some really good sounding powered speakers. However, we all know what opinions are like. 😉

Joel - W4JBB

Tagged:

Comments

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Nice review thank you.

• Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have been using the 4.5's for a few years, they are great speakers They have been RFI proof for me with legal limit, many speakers I cant say that about.

As for volume, I have the volume on the Presonis 4.5 @ less than half, SSDR master volume @ 50% and individual Slice volume gives me way more than enough @ 100%.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.