Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

xSDR6000 mac solution to SSDR

K3SF
K3SF Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2022 in Third-Party Software
xSSDR6000 by Doug K3TZR coming along

xSDR6000 is a Mac based gui which looks and operates almost like SSDR on a pc

i have been testing xSDR6000 for Doug and other also have been helping Doug

so far i have been able to run four slices from my 6600m on my Mac Mini
and
also have run it in multi-flex mode too

it currently work with radios running ssdr 3.1.8

Doug will tell you it is a work in progress
but
i will say he has done some awesome work to date

yep...sure look like SSDR on pC
but
it is all MAC all the time

i have also been able to run four instances of wsjtx connect to xSDR6000
using Mario's xDax/xCat as well as loopback...
and
all pf that takes a lotta screen real-estate
and
all of that is on a Mac Mini.....

Paul K3SF

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited March 2020
    That is pretty interesting.  

Just in case you are not aware, there is another Mac solution as well by DogPark Software.

https://dogparksoftware.com/dogparkSDR.html

This is the way the radio is designed and that makes it possible for anyone to write their own GUI.

Mike
  • MarkN7MHB
    MarkN7MHB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    How can I get a download to try out?
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    GREAT WORK looks GREAT for sure, I just can't get used to DogPark and this looks so good would love to try it out.
    look forward to seeing it go live for the rest of us.
    73's

Bret
    WX7Y

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    FROM MY EMAIL FROM DOUG

As I promised, I’ve just pushed updates to Github including executable versions of xAPITester and xSDR6000. They can be found here:

https://github.com/K3TZR/xAPITester/releases

https://github.com/K3TZR/xSDR6000/releases

They should be compatible with radios with versions up to and including 3.1.8. They are “notarised” so you should not receive any scary Apple warnings when trying to open them for the first time.

I welcome any feedback. Thanks for your interest.

73’s 
    Doug - K3TZR

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Got them downloaded worked great until i did a reboot and now when I bring it up there is the GUI but Audio is just a loud BUZZ with or without MAC Audio being on. 
    Anyway my OS is doing a update so will try again when the update gets done.
    Thanks a lot
    Bret 
    WX7Y

• Marc Willis Advocare
    edited March 2020
    Would be interested to know if you got it working again? Thank you 73 Marc NC7M
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    What I have found is that when I set up MultiFlex it broke the RX Audio on the "Local" connection but turning on MultiFlex  can connect to both my radio (Local 6700 and Remote 6600) it works fine.
    Hope this helps
    73 and thanks and will test more today

PS UPDATE 
    Just tested some more and if you have MultiFLEX turned on at all the LOCAL radio has the problem, LOG OUT of MultiFLEX and the Local radio works fine.
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Jim - wa6our
    Jim - wa6our Member
    edited March 2020
    Paul,

I also am getting a loud buzz when I start things up.  None of the audio controls seem to affect it.  Turns out I had two connections to my 6700.  When I dropped my 1st connection and only used your program the buzz went away.
    I am having trouble setting a frequency less than 1.0 MHZ.  If I enter say .680 for 680 KHZ the frequency selector of the going goes to 77.777.777 and you can no longer enter a frequency.  Many time I get a crash with the following:
    Application Specific Information:
    *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '[<xLib6000.Slice 0x7fa340e86fd0> setNilValueForKey]: could not set nil as the value for the key frequency.'
    abort() called
    terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

I can provide the complete message if you like.

Jim
    wa6our
  • Jim - wa6our
    Jim - wa6our Member
    edited June 2020
    Paul,

I find that I am able to create slices.  However I don't seem to be able to delete them.  When I hit the X in the frequency box the slice seems to go away but the GUI portion doesn't.  Also when I select the remove slice option I get the same results.  I am still seeing the dynamic GUI along with the history portion.  I forgot to say that I am running Flex v3.1.8.  I am running Catalina on my iMac.
    Jim
    wa6our
  • Jim - wa6our
    Jim - wa6our Member
    edited June 2020
    Paul,

Here is a screen scrape showing what happens when I delete a slice.  It also shows what happens when I select a frequency below 1.0 MHZ.  In the case I have it set at .950 MHZ.  The audio is fine for the frequency but the GUI show 9.5 MHZ.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Basic functions worked out of the box.  Nice!

Two quick observations:  1- XVTRs did not show up.  2 - crashed when I clicked on "Profiles".

Alan
    WA9WUD
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    The Profiles is known issue as well as xvtrs

sorry i didnt mention these

However, the more people that test it and give their issues, the easier it  will be for doug to focus on those features that are key for overall functionality

for example,
    one that i came across was how to get mic input from the computer into the the audio stream for ssb operations
    and
    a PTT swicth for it

however,
    it does work using a mic directly connected to the radio

Paul K3SF
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    hi jim

to delete slice and remove it from a panafal
    move mouse ot left side of panafal an you will see
    the following

just click on the circle with the X

and
    the panafal and slice goes away

Paul K3SF

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    hi jim

i am seeing that same behavior when trying to enter freq less than 1.000

i didnt test before...not my usual freq i listen too

so your test is good input for doug....

Paul K3SF

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    the multi-flex operation still need more shake down for sure

for example, on 6600m to disconnectthe main panel and let xSDR6000 have all the resource for 4 slices....
    or
    to disconnect another multi-flex user
    similar to how iosssdr works...

i did let doug know this....

Paul K3SF

• Jim - wa6our
    Jim - wa6our Member
    edited March 2020
    Paul,
    What is the best way to make suggestions and point out issues?  Should it be done through GitHub or here?

Jim
  • Jim - wa6our
    Jim - wa6our Member
    edited March 2020
    Paul,
    That worked.  Thanks for the pointer!
    Jim
    wa6our
  • Jim - wa6our
    Jim - wa6our Member
    edited June 2020
    Is there a way to drag the skirts of the bandwidth.  Sometimes I like to zero in very narrowly on a frequency or go all the way down to zero on the low side.
    Jim
    wa6our

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    my suggestion would be to contact doug.

i think you can do that thru github

if not let me know and i''l get doug's email address to you

also
    you can find his email address on qrz.com
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I was able to get the Bandwidth to change using a 2 finger drag to lower the band width I think with a single finger drag it widens the bandwidth, not sure if this is the only way but seems to work, you must be on the be top of the slice for this to work.
    Bret

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    go to 'help window and you will see a whole list of mouse operations.

• Jim - wa6our
    Jim - wa6our Member
    edited March 2020
    Tried 1 and 2 finger drag but it just changes the frequency for me.  I can't drag the skirts.
  • Jim - wa6our
    Jim - wa6our Member
    edited March 2020
    Got it now.  I can increase and decrease the bandwidth.  I am unable to adjust the upper or low skirts independently.  
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    yep...

as you can see not on the mouse/trackpad list to do that...

• Jim - wa6our
    Jim - wa6our Member
    edited March 2020
    I live in a noisy area.  Sometimes I must closely bracket a signal to avoid RFI.  Adjusting the bandwidth skirts helps me a lot.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    have you tried a TNF?

i have found that help on noise that always on same freq
    and
    you can turn then on/off as needed

also
    i use the RX EQ to tweek the freq slice response to suite my ears

Paul K3SF

• Jim - wa6our
    Jim - wa6our Member
    edited March 2020
    I haven't really experimented with TNF.  I will give it a look see.
    Thanks
    Jim
    wa6our

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    i have passed these experiences / issues to Doug
    and
    got the following email response

Paul,

Thanks for the update, I’ll work on all of these. My plan is to try to produce a new version once a week (probably Mondays) until I resolve the known issues. I won’t work on any entirely new features, e.g. CWX, until the existing code is more stable.

Doug

• Doug - K3TZR
    Doug - K3TZR Member
    edited March 2020
    I’d like to say thank you to Paul (K3SF) for bringing my software to the attention of this group. I’d also like to say thank you to all those who have invested their time in trying it and providing feedback to me.

I’m working on updates to address some of the issues that have been identified. All are welcome to send feedback to me, my direct email is good on QRZ.com and on my Github page ( https://github.com/K3TZR ). Please be patient, I’m a “one man band” and can’t always be as responsive as I would like to be.

A few words about the software. It is not, and never will be, a commercial product. Just like Ham radio, it’s my hobby. If you need or expect professional grade support, it may not be for you. There are at least two very professional and well supported Apple-centric solutions on the market today ( dogparkSDR and SmartSdr for iOS ).

I originally wrote the Flexlib-like part (xLib6000) with the idea that others would use it to make Mac-native solutions for Flex radios. The best examples of that are xDAX / xCAT by Mario (DL3LSM) and SDR Voice Keyer by Pete (W6OP). Both are built on top of xLib6000. In addition to using xLib6000, both Mario and Pete have contributed code and testing that has advanced the development of the library. I could not have done it without their help and encouragement.

In the process of creating xLib6000 I needed to learn about and experiment with the Flex API. To do that I wrote xAPITester. If you want to learn about the Flex API (using a Mac) I highly recommend it to you.

Once I thought xLib6000 was mostly functional, I started xSDR6000, my SmartSDR-like app for the Mac. I started this as a way of proving to myself that xLib6000 was functionally correct. It’s a work in process and a large and complex app. It has omissions and errors that I will attempt to correct over time.

I will periodically post new releases of all three products on Github. For the more adventurous, all of the source code is there as well.

Thank you for your support.

73’s Doug

K3TZR

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    finally got back to playing with the XSDR6000 tonight and got most everything working but I can't see why my MIC MAC isn't working. 
    Have DAX turned off (Tried it off and on) 
    Mic selection is on PC 
    the MIC works fine in DOGPark 
    Mic levels are good under the MAC System Preferences and audio looks good
    Any Ideas?

Bret
    WX7Y

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.