Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Suspected fried internal antenna tuner

I'm embarrassed to say that I may have fried the antenna tuner in my 6400 radio. I'd disconnected the antenna for the thunderstorms last night and forgot to reconnect it before trying to send a digital message; SWR went through the roof with a burnt electronics smell. Tested the antenna cables and inspected the antennas, no issues observed, and connected everything back up as normal. Also rebooted the 6400 and the computer. The antenna tuner reports success but the SWR on full power transmit is the same as no antenna, with full scale SWR reading on the SmartSDR radio control panel. 

I suspect I'll have to send the radio back for repair, unless the internal antenna tuner is a user installable component that might be shipped to me. Before I pack it up for shipment, does anyone knowledgeable about this have any other suggestions or advice?

Thanks,

Mark, AC3EW

Best Answers

• marwalk
    marwalk Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

@WP4OXG Thanks, ATU replacement with those instructions appears to be very user serviceable. Now to see about the steps to order a new ATU.

Thanks,

Mark, AC3EW

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi Mark, before ordering a new one, I would submit a help desk ticket. Flex support may have some insights that could help.

Answers

• wp4oxg
    wp4oxg Member ✭✭
  • marwalk
    marwalk Member ✭✭

@KD0RC Thanks, Len. Now that I have more background on it I'll submit a help desk ticket. I do have my profiles backed up in case they have me do a factory reset on the radio.

Thanks,

Mark, AC3EW

• David N4IW
    David N4IW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022

I think most of us have done something similar; at least I have. I am curious about what happened with this situation. Was your ATU fried? Did you have to replace it?

• marwalk
    marwalk Member ✭✭

@David N4IW Hi, David. The Help Desk had me check the SWR reading at 10 watts into a dummy load with the ATU switched out of the line. The meter pegged, and per instructions I went no further. They gave me an RMA for repair and I sent it back to Austin. Here's what they found:

1. confirmed customer's reported problem with the radio is indicating high SWR into a dummy load ( we could not find any visibly burned/damaged component).
    2. radio had faulty LPF module: fails CAL BRIDGE Test
    3. radio had a faulty ATU: fails most of factory board-level tests.

They took the following repair actions:

1. replaced LPF + ATU modules
    2. ran full factory recalibration
    3. ran functional tests
    4. burn-in overnight
    5. final tests
    6. factory reset

I've had the radio back and operating for a couple of weeks now, and all is working fine. I observed that when I restored my profile it also pulled in my frequency memory records without having to explicitly select the separate frequency CSV file; everything was there as before. I did have to separately reset the static IP address on the radio (and reboot it to make that active), but that also was painless.

Thanks,

Mark, AC3EW

• David N4IW
    David N4IW Member ✭✭

@marwalk AC3EW. Hi Mark. One further question. About how long did you transmit before you realized there was a problem?

Thanks and 73,

David - N4IW

• marwalk
    marwalk Member ✭✭

@David N4IW Hi, David. Although I didn't have a stopwatch on it, the time seemed to be about 30 seconds. That was while transmitting a digital message that had the transmitter key down all that time (a normal operation that is usually not problematic).

A friend had commented at the time that there shouldn't have been a problem, as a Flex radio will reduce its power as needed when confronted with excessive reflected power. But it seems the transmitter wasn't the component in play in this situation, it was the ATU. Possibly the only way to have the same protection for the ATU (and also the LPF) is for the ATU (and LPF) to communicate to the transmitter what's happening to them. I could imagine that would require a significant increase in complexity in the firmware and maybe component architecture, but it's an interesting thought experiment.

I've since made a point to notice the SWR reading on the radio control panel while transmitting, just to be sure.

Thanks,

Mark, AC3EW

• David N4IW
    David N4IW Member ✭✭

@marwalk Hello again. Ohhh. 30 seconds! What I have done a few times is to transmit WSJT-X FT8 directly to ground when I have left my Alpha Delta antenna switch centered which puts all ports connected to ground. But I have only done this for a couple of seconds each time because I noticed the SWR was off the scale. I have a ingrained habit to look at that for some reason. Every time I do this my electric blanket (2 floors up in our bedroom) errors out and has to be unplugged and plugged back in! 😬

Like your friend, I thought the radio would protect itself from something like this. Glad it’s working again and that they took care of you. I am guessing that was a pretty expensive repair. 73

David - N4IW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.