Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TX DAX When MultiFlex, Two GUI Clients?

I have searched the Flex documentation and the community but cannot find a clear description of how TX DAX is configured when operating with two GUI Clients, MultiFlex.

If I have two GUI Clients, each sharing the single Flex Radio Transmitter, what is the expected behavior of TX DAX for each Client? By that, I mean, can I have GUI Client #1 TX DAX "Off" and, at the same time, TX DAX for GUI Client #2 "On."

Or, since they share the same transmitter, must TX DAX on each of the two GUI Clients always be the same, both "on" or both "off"?

Alan. WA9WUD

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Alan, each DAX is bound to its corresponding GUI client, so I am pretty sure that they can operate totally independently. I will fire up my old laptop when I get a chance and do a quick verification that I am saying this correctly.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Len

Thanks.

I ask, because, I observed some unexpected behavior for TX DAX settings, MultiFlex.

When I first added the two GUI clients, changing TX DAX on one, changed the other client's TX DAX to the same.

But.....after some time, the behavior changed, the TX DAX settings could be set differently on each Client.

So....what made the difference? There must be another input into the logic, that is not apparent, or well documented.

Alan

• KD0RC

Oh, that is interesting... Do you have a Node Red client or an API connected device that might be influencing the behavior?

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Len

The only Non-GUI Client is Node-Red. I did consider the possibility, but the connection to my TX DAX observation was not obvious.

So, to test, I shut down Node-Red and observed the same TX DAX, MultiFlex behaviors.

In conclusion, odd TX DAX behavior is not from running Node-Red.

Alan

• KD0RC

Hi Alan, I finally got around to trying this out on my system. It looks like if I use the same mic profile on both SmartSDR clients, I get unusual behavior. If I select a different mic profile for each SmartSDR, all seems to work as expected. Give that a try and see if it solves the issue.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Len

I did use the same Mic profile on both GUI clients. I wonder why that changes the TX DAX logic.

But, back to the underlying question, which is the correct behavior, one TX DAX setting for both Clients, or possible for independent/different TX DAX settings for each GUI Client?

Alan

• KD0RC

It should be independent action, otherwise bands and modes would get all goofed up audio-wise. My guess is that it is a sneaky bug. Once you have a different mic profile for each SmartSDR, whatever is wrong sorts itself out. Might be a good thing to submit a help desk ticked about so that Flex has it in their fix-it log. It has an easy enough work around, so I doubt this one will be in the top ten "gotta fix it" category.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Each of us agrees on the "should operate this way". But, observations are not consistent, and in fact dynamic.

I have two tickets open with Flex, related to this same question. One is with Engineering.

Neither has told me the expected MultiFlex TX DAX logic/behavior, so I cannot say it's a bug or not.

So.....now I am in the community asking what others actually observe, for the same configuration.

Alan

• KD0RC

Hi Alan, so do you have the same problem, even when using separate mic profiles?

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Len

I am not sure. Mic profiles was not something I paid attention to, in my previous testing.

I know for sure, I had both configurations, same/different Mic Profiles, but I did not put the coorlation to TX DAX behavior together.

I will need to test that idea.

Alan

• KD0RC

Sounds good. I got it to work perfectly with separate mic profiles, but I did not do extensive testing over time.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Len

I just tested it with GUI Client One, Mac SDR, and GUI Client Two, Windows SDR.

Same as you. Same Mic Profile, TX DAX is "connected". Different Mic Profiles, TX DAX is seperate and on/off "settable" on each GUI Client.

Guess the Mic Profile somehow ties the GUI Clients TX DAX together. Now, is that correct behavor, and what is the logic?

Alan

• KD0RC

I can't believe that it is correct behavior. I suspect that it is a bug that snuck in. It would be interesting to hear from Flex on this one. On the bright side, it is easy to work around. I think that I have heard that separate Global Profiles are recommended when using MultiFlex, so from that perspective, this isn't too surprising.

I am glad that you spotted this behavior. Even though I don't do much MultiFlex, it is something I would not want to try to figure out during Field Day or in the middle of chasing rare DX...

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

So.....I re-read the Smart SDR manual.

TX DAX is a persistence parameter.

Also, TX DAX ("DAX Input Enable," as in the manual) is included in the MIC Profile.

So....maybe this makes sense. Len, check my thinking here.

What is the result if two MultiFlex GUI Clients are using the same profile, MIC profile in this case, and one of the two GUI Clients change a parameter that is also persisted? The solution is to make the changed parameter the same on both GUI clients.

Perhaps this is why Flex says going back to the "old" profiles that do not change (persist) is problematic in MultiFlex?

Alan. WA9WUD

• KD0RC

Ah, that might be it. I have seen Mike, VA3MW, warn people not to use the same Global Profile when operating MultiFlex, and that is probably why.

Good deduction, Alan!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.